penicillin

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by picklespickles, Nov 5, 2007.

1. picklespickles

picklespickles Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2007
    my goat was attacked the other day. she had been recovering well. last night, she seeemd to be coming down with a fever. the wound looks different today. i'm thinking it's infected. my neighbor said you can go to teh feed store and get penciliin. so i guess i will take a break during work and go do that today. uh, yeah, my uh, "kid" is sick, gotta run and get some medicine for her. [​IMG]

how have you used pencillin before?

the vet is not an option, so please don't advice that. this has all got to be home doctoring.

2. helmstead

helmstead Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2007
    Alfordsville, IN
    I will not give dosing advice as I am not a vet. All I can say is:

1) DO NOT use it for a couple days and then quit, use it for the full course according to the bottle

2) Use a fairly large gauge needle, it is a very thick product

3) Start your goat on ProBios for goats IMMEDIATELY. Antibiotics kill rumen bacteria (the good kind) too and that can kill your goat.

4) Your goat is going to get sore from injections. Take treats with you, remember to massage the site afterwards.

Best of luck.

3. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    yeah. she wasn't very pleased with me. i also used a spray that the feed store people swear by. will get some neosporin type stuff tomorrow. poor thing. she was getting better but now seems worse. my sweetie.

4. picklespickles

Oct 27, 2007
    i was amazed that pencillin at the feed store was like seven bucks. a big bottle. makes you realize how overpriced people medicines are.

anyway. good luck to her.

anyone else with antibiotic experiences with their goats, or other animals?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by