Penning 2 sets of hens and chicks together? Problems?

NeeleysAVLChicks

Songster
10 Years
Aug 4, 2009
Leicester, NC
I have two sister hens that are both currently sitting on eggs. These girls were raised together and are attached at the hip, so when the first went broody 2 1/2 weeks ago, it didn't surprise me when her sister decided a few days later to brood in the nesting box next to her to keep her company.

So, I have one girl with a clutch set to hatch this weekend and my other girl is about 2 weeks behind her.

My question is, I have a nice little secured area within the coop with its own pop door and access to a private run within the larger run. Do you see any problems penning the two mamas and two sets of chicks (one set will be about 2 wks older than the second set) together? Will the mamas show aggression towards the chicks that aren't theirs?

Hi Neeley, I live in Bryson City and work in Sylva.
frow.gif

I currently have this going on right now myself (I have broodies everywhere!). My broodies are getting along well with each other. However, until you give it a go, you won't really know. In a lot of cases I'm sure the chicks will trump the sisterly affection and they might attack the other hen's chicks. Recently, I've had two sets of hens where one was broody and then she had a sister be broody right beside her too. They tag team as mother and protector of the chicks. It's so amazing to watch.

Hi TaLani! Thank you for your reply, I was just in Sylva yesterday visiting some friends!

That's kind of what I was thinking, give it a go and see what happens. It's good to hear that its working out well for you!!

I have another broody that hatched out 12+ yesterday in my brooder/storage shed that's "pure evil" when she's broody as my 10yr old daughter calls her. There's no way that I'll trust her around any other chicks other than her's though - wow is she mean right now! I say mean, but really she's just doing what comes naturally and is being protective. On the other hand, I have a broody MF d'uccle that just hatched out some mixed bantam chicks this wkend - she hatched all 14 eggs that she was sitting on!!! She's as sweet as they come, not mean to me or any chicken at all. They're all different.

Back
Top Bottom