1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Penning colors together

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by OnlyOrps, Jan 24, 2015.

1. OnlyOrps

OnlyOrps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2015
    Trying to decide on which Orpington colors to start out with and which combinations I could make with them/which colors would combine best and compliment one another. For example you can pen/breed black orps and lavender orps, right? Cuckoo's can be bred to any solid color etc. What other varieties can be combined?

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  2. OnlyOrps

Jan 20, 2015
    Are there no cuckoo orpingtons out there? I've found a ton of lemon cuckoo and chocolate cuckoo but only two sources selling cuckoo...?

3. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Cuckoo can be combined with anything and has. Blue, lavender, or chocolate can be combined with any bird that has black feathers. What do you want to do?

4. OnlyOrps

Jan 20, 2015
    Well, I love cuckoo, gold laced, BBS and Buff. I wanted to make sure cuckoo could be bred over some of those. I was also considering Lavender and blacks to improve them so then wondered if blacks could be bred to any other colors? Just trying to figure out all of my options for breeding programs.

5. rainbowrooster

rainbowrooster Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Lemon cuckoo is a buff bird with cuckoo. Lavender cuckoo already exists. I think everything with cuckoo has already been done. Cuckoo with lacing will get you a mess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by