Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture agent @ local farmers market...

motoclown

Songster
9 Years
May 27, 2010
New Castle, PA
NEW CASTLE — Some food vendors at farmers markets are now required to be individually licensed to sell their wares.

The New Wilmington Farmers Market sellers learned that the hard way Saturday when a
Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture agent showed up to inspect and almost shut down the venue.
........................................................................................

The rules do not pertain to growers who sell only whole produce from their farms. Rather,
they are geared toward sellers of eggs, dairy products, meats or any processed,
packaged or prepared food items or any produce that has been cut for sale or sampling, such as melon.

http://www.ncnewsonline.com/topstories/x357073463/Farmers-market-vendors-surprised-by-rule-change

Wonder if this is part of the s510 Bill.
Just another case of Big Business & Agriculture trying to bring the local farmers down.
Soon they want to own the seeds you sow.
People better start standing up for their rights.*

Just say'in.​

our state (most states) have similar rules. It's not against the small farmer, for the most part. Lots of people buy food/produce/etc and then resell it. Those are the people these laws are geared towards. Now, the "cut for sampling" thing is a bit different but also a giant loophole - just don't cut the melons and offer samples.

the eggs we don't have to have a license for here, but they have to be cleaned according to their standards

I looked into selling eggs at our farmers market. First here you have to have a state tax ID number, then you have to be inspected by the state then you have to rent a booth it cost 150 dollars for the season and be approved by the city. You also have to keep track of the money you make so you can report it to the state. Nevermind! I'll sell my eggs out of my house.

I understand the cut melon part because the skin has all kinds of bacteria on it. To properly prepare it you have to cut all the skin off first then wash the fruit..then with a CLEAN knife cut the melon in pieces, which are then kept in a bowl on ice. maybe they should just make them take a food safety course? Like this one, which is the one I did to be able to work in restaurants http://www.servsafe.com/

Quote:
You can say that since you haven't gotten food poisoning or e coli from contaminated food. If you had, you'd be yelling for more regulation. It all depends on whose ox is being gored. There are always two sides to every regulation.

Back
Top Bottom