Pennsylvania farmer blocked from selling unpasteurized milk outside of that state, but it is okay to

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Bullitt, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Bullitt

Bullitt Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    The U.S. Food and Drug Administration sought and received a federal injunction against a Pennsylvania farmer to prevent the farmer from selling unpasteurized milk outside of Pennsylvania.

The USDA states that the raw milk can be dangerous.

Can someone explain to me why it's okay for the farmer to sell unpasteurized milk inside Pennsylvania but not outside the state?

The only thing I can think of is that the federal government oversees interstate commerce, so the federal government can't prevent the farmer from selling within his own state. But I would think if the USDA says it is unsafe that the state of Pennsylvania would also say the milk is unsafe.

http://news.yahoo.com/farmer-forbidden-selling-raw-milk-013744834.html

2. punk-a-doodle

punk-a-doodle Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    In my state, you can't transport raw milk, but you can sell it on site within the state. We pick up raw goat milk from our local goat farm sometimes. Did it the first time just for kicks, but I've gotta say, it's freakishly tasty compared to ultra-pasteurized.

You have to sign a waiver each time you purchase though about how you understand that it is not considered safe and such.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  3. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    Wouldn't the raw milk be just as dangerous at the farm as it would be transported to a dairy?

I am trying to understand the logic of the regulations. Either the milk is dangerous or it's not.

You seem to still be alive after drinking it. [​IMG]

4. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    Yes, Federal government can only regulate intrastate commerce. Raw milk is generally safe, depending on your age your parents or grandparents probably had it daily.

5. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    The logic of the regulations is the Monsanto owns the federal government, they are in process of getting a patent for the pig. Monsanto wants to own all our food sources, with the help from the federal government.

6. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    I think you mean interstate. Intrastate is within a state.

You would still think that if the USDA considers it unsafe that the state government would also consider that milk unsafe.

Someone seems to be wrong here.

7. Bullitt

Jan 16, 2012
    Texas
    This is what I was thinking but I did not want to say it. I think the federal government is trying to protect the market for the big corporate producers.

8. Nitrous

Nitrous Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 28, 2011
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    The feds are only *supposed* to regulate interstate commerce (because states can't do that) and protection of the nation, interstate highways, and whatnot. Not impose laws that affect the day to day running of the inside of the state. So if PA does not have a law against selling raw milk or diseased cows, the feds do not have authority to step in. If you try to cross state lines, to sell your raw milk/diseased cows, you are now in "Federal" territory.

So if you break a law in your home state, the state goes after you. If you break that same law and cross state lines, while doing it, the states (both) can prosecute you *or* the feds can, but not both. If the states decide not to prosecute, the fed can step in, unless they decide the reason the states dropped charges is because there was not enough evidence or something was wrong with custody, arrest or guilt.

9. mulewagon

mulewagon Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 13, 2010
    Alabama
    Real food rots - that's how you can tell it's real. It doesn't do well with storage, and transport, and temperature changes. Okay, there's some exceptions, like eggs, apples, and potatoes. But mostly real food spoils quickly. And milk is a great culture medium. I adore raw milk, but want it the same day it was milked, and use it quickly or freeze it.

10. Sharisr32

Sharisr32 Egg Killer ;)

Jan 14, 2007
    OH/PA Boarder
    The USDA began this crackdown after the Apple Juice mess where those kids died - Keeping in mind so many people dropped the ball concerning the sale of that apple juice that they maybe jumping very fast. The US Army sent reps to that plant and they declared it too dirty to be used for Soldiers but public sales continued - Odd - took a while to find that the Apple grower violated his contract with the company and sold Apples off the ground instead of picked only and the ground apples got deer droppings on them being untreated it was a major problem - Frequently people use the "Not Dead Yet Club "example My grandparents did it.. Testing and diagnostics were way less so illnesses caused by unpasteurized items may have gone undetected. odd application but public safety maybe their rational ----

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by