Pennsylvania newbie

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Farmettehopeful, Mar 1, 2012.

1. Farmettehopeful

Farmettehopeful Out Of The Brooder

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Hello all! I am new to chickens (as an adult anyhow) and when I first started researching online, the majority of my info came from BYC so I decided to join so I can be prepared! I have already been in touch with a local through this site who was nice enough to let me go in on his chicks order so within the next couple of weeks I will have 3 barred rock babies! I am very excited, so excited that I went to my local TSC today (to get my shavings and adult waterer) and their chicks came in (RIR and white Leghorn mix I believe) but they wouldn't let me get 3 :-( Minimum was 6. Since they only had 10, I tried the "if someone comes in and gets 7 of them, you will only have 3 left, then what?" I was still told no lol. I live in an area where you can only have 6 if you have under 3 acres so couldn't get more :-( I have my brooder ready, coop plans in hand, and a member to what I now feel is a very important website!!! Thanks to all that have shared their experiences to help all of us that don't have any!!!

2. Silkie Chick

Silkie Chick Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]Welcome to BYC! We got a couple from TSC Yesterday (silkie bantams) and nine ducklings. Does your ordinance say 6 hens or 6 chickens. Because a hen is a chicken of the speices 'gallus domesticus' and they have to be a year or older to be considered a hen. Younger than that they are a pullet (assuming it is female, otherwise it is a cockerel). So could you get a couple babies and keep the ones you want, and then sell the others when they get older?

3. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    The ordinance guy didn't specify that! I do believe it was chickens in general though because he said I could run into problems with noise ordinances if I got a rooster (which I'm not getting). I don't think it would be easy for me to find someone to take the extra ones anyhow [​IMG]But thanks for the helpful info! Hope your new babies are doing great!!

4. Kevin565

Kevin565 Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Dec 22, 2009
    Welcome to BYC [​IMG]

5. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Thank you! Glad to be here!!!

6. Balefire

Balefire Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Orwigsburg PA
    [​IMG]
    Welcome and good luck wir=th your new babies [​IMG][​IMG]

7. HiddenHens987

HiddenHens987 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2011
    Congrats on the new chickies and welcome to Backyard Chickens!

8. weimarmama

weimarmama Overrun With Chickens

Jun 4, 2010
    Alabama
    My Coop
    [​IMG] & [​IMG] from Alabama. Glad you joined us.

9. Farmettehopeful

Feb 23, 2012
    Johnstown, PA
    Thank You all!!!

10. 1muttsfan

1muttsfan Overrun With Chickens

Mar 26, 2011
    Upper Peninsula Michigan
    Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by