Penny (St. Bernard) is 10 1/2 yrs today

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by Farmer Kitty, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Farmer Kitty

Farmer Kitty Flock Mistress

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Our St. Bernard, Penny, is 10 1/2 years old today (1/4/2008). [​IMG] St. Bernard's average life span is 6-8 years.
    [​IMG]

2. okiechick57

okiechick57 Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] wow that is awesome................ she must be a totally happy dog to live so far past life expectancy............ [​IMG]

3. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Heidi, the St. Bernard we had before Penny, lived to be 10 1/2 also. However she had disappeared for a week at her 10 year birthday and it took a lot out of her. We lost her at 10 1/2.

The vet just gave Penny her rabies shot and said she was good for three more years. I said, "I wonder if she will need one in three more years?" The vet had trouble believing Penny is so old. Hopefully that means she will be with us for sometime to come!

4. JenniferJoIN

JenniferJoIN Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    Wow, she's an over-achiever!!

I love St. Bernards!

5. Crazy4Chicks

Crazy4Chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 20, 2007
    Glendale, AZ
    well you tell her Happy Birthday from us !

Julie

6. pidgey104

pidgey104 Cochins R Us

Nov 10, 2007
    Panama City ,Florida
    my old pekanises lived a long time too. The vet said he was older then dirt. He had no teeth and canerats on his eyes. I miss him [​IMG]

7. nccountrygirl

nccountrygirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2007
    Sanford N.C.
    What a beauty she is, I hope she stays healthy and happy for many more yrs. to come.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  8. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I love ST. Bernards. The two best dogs I've had were part St. Bernard. One lived to 16. He was my kids' guardian when they were little.

9. Farmer Kitty

Sep 18, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Quote:Sixteen-wow! Even for a mix breed with the St. Bernard that is fantastic!

She is a big love and I credit her for not having problems with preditors. I really hope she lives for a good amount of time yet. The only thing wrong with her is her hearing is going. Luckily eveyone that comes in and out of the yard for the farm business is great about watching for her and the kids. [​IMG]

10. Mountain Man Jim

Mountain Man Jim Chillin' With My Peeps

She looks great ... how is she with the birds?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by