Penny the 5 yr old bantam gasping for air.

mew317

Chirping
Feb 9, 2018
Hi, Mew here. Penny is a 5 yr old Silver Duckwing hen that has Crookback.
She’s gasping for air and “Usually it means it’s a heart problem.”
We’ve pulled our bantam rooster named Digger (Rest in Peace, lil buddy) out of the same problem 4 times.
Q: VIDEOOOOO-
A: I’m not sure and I ain’t allowed.

Q: What’s the poop like?
A: Runny/solid-ish.

Q:How long since she laid a egg?
A:Since summer. She laid one that was kinda, well, not very solid. It wasn’t a normal egg as it was a soft shelled egg.

Q: Crop or Vent check?
A:No. I don’t think it’s a big problem.

Penny was bought with 5 other siblings..they died after a month one by one.
Fun Fact: Penny was bought for my birthday.
Fun Fact: She had chicks that were stolen we think.

Can someone help me out here? Thanks.
-The Chicken lover, Mew317.

5 yr old Silver Duckwing hen that has Crookback.
She’s gasping for air and “Usually it means it’s a heart problem.”

Since summer. She laid one that was kinda, well, not very solid. It wasn’t a normal egg as it was a soft shelled egg.
Can you post photos of her and the poop?
Explain crookback.

Gasping for air can be a number of things, if you have vet care that is always best.
Feel of her abdomen between the legs, swelling, bloat or fluid. Check the crop, how does that feel-full, hard, soft, squishy, etc. Do you notice any mucous, coughing, sneezing or water eyes? Have you added any chickens to your flock within the last 30days?

I’m sorry for your losses :hugs I lost my first chick six days after I got my first eight. It was very hard. :hugs

Crookback - Her back disc is out of place (I forget if it’s called a disc or not or if I got the right thing for it!) and can’t heal correctly. She can walk fine.

I have a picture of her before this started. Here.
image.jpg
Penny is off to the right side staring at me as I took the picture. Penny is a loving hen and I can’t loose her or I’ll be heartbroken.

image.jpg
image.jpg
We got Silkie Mutts (they are different types of chickens eck), Silver Wyandottes (I put up a thread about them because I had 14. Now 6.), A Golden Wyandotte cockerel, Hermit Crabs (3 of them to be exact.), 3 male guinea pigs, and then Penny. Penny has had this before but it was very mild and not “CRDOSKSKSAAAAW” and the gasping. She’s sneezing or making a very loud and high pitched bawk that’s long. I’ll go get a picture of her right now (The cage is small, I know, We’re gonna get the male guinea pigs out of there and put her in soon.) Anyways, if Penny dies, I just might stop with chickens for a bit.

A small update!
She pulled herself out of it at the moment. No eggs because Penny isn’t laying eggs. Penny is 5, possibly 6, I ain’t sure what’s wrong with her. Normally every 3 days she would lay, now it’s 6 or 7 months. I’m worried about Penny :(

I had a 3 yr old rescue with a similar problem- constant gasping to the point that she couldnt sleep. The vet did a blood test and she had severe anaemia. One of our other ladies donated some blood to her but that only fixed things for about half a day. It's just awful when you cant fix things for them.

A small update!
She pulled herself out of it at the moment. No eggs because Penny isn’t laying eggs. Penny is 5, possibly 6, I ain’t sure what’s wrong with her. Normally every 3 days she would lay, now it’s 6 or 7 months. I’m worried about Penny :(
I'm glad she has pulled through for the moment.
Her age is not helping her. Reproductive problems and internal laying are common in hens as well, so that's a possibility.
Sometimes the best you can do is keep them hydrated and eating. Add some poultry vitamins once a week, check her crop to make sure it's empty in the morning before she eats/drinks, watch to make sure there's no lice/mites and consider getting a fecal float to check for worms.

Back
Top Bottom