Penny the one legged chicken has lost her other leg. What on earth is going on?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by TinyLittleFarm, Mar 10, 2013.

1. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Original thread is here. It's been a week since Penny's right foot was found dangling off her leg and I amputated it. Her leg was healing rather nicely. Eating, drinking, pooping, being spoiled living inside and whatnot. I didn't pick her up at all yesterday.This morning I picked her up to check on things spend some time and I found that HER OTHER FOOT FELL OFF. She has been living in a small brooder and there was no way for her to injure herself in there. What the heck?

Her left foot was perfectly fine a week ago. Both feet came off with just a clean "break" right at the spot where the foot meets the leg. Penny is about 7 and she came to us last summer already having foot problems. Missing her nails, gnarled toes, etc. We kept her feet clean and things looked ok.

Clearly there was some sort of foot disease going on. What on earth would cause a chicken's feet to just fall off?

We're going to put her down today. [​IMG]

2. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    What does her leg look like? Is it rough and are the scales raised? You may have a very severe case of scaly leg mites. When they get really bad I've heard of chickens losing nails and toes, but I've never heard of the whole foot going. That's all I can think of that would cause this - maybe someone else will have other ideas? I'm so sorry for you and your hen :hugs

Last edited: Mar 10, 2013
  3. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Nope, no scaly leg mites. Both the feet that fell off and the leg above it have no signs of mites. And it's a super clean "break." so bizarre.

4. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    im soooooooo sorry for you! this is very strange indeed! poor thing! so sorry you have to put her down. :( very sad story! il do some searching and see if i can find a reason if i can il post back

5. realsis

realsis Crazy for Silkies

Jan 17, 2013
    California
    i found a few reasons, bumble foot, frost bite, mites, those are some causes

6. Pyxis

Pyxis Hatchi Wan Kenobi Premium Member

Mar 27, 2012
    Vermont
    My Coop
    That is SO weird. Now I'm compelled to research like realsis. Is there anything else going on? Like bad smell around the area, skin turning black, etc, or did both feet just kind of fall off?

7. Chickenfan4life

Chickenfan4life Crowing

Aug 28, 2012
    Planet No
  8. nok13

nok13 Songster

Dec 8, 2012
    gangrene? brittle bones?

9. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    I would guess brittle bones of all those choices. Ever since we adopted her last summer her feet have been funky looking, but they never looked gangrenous or infected or whatever. She's also seven years old, so I'm sure her age is a factor.

This is a pic of her leg that lost the first foot. The black stump is weird to me. I've been keeping it clean and with antibiotic on it and up until today it was more pink than black. The scales look very thin--almost like dry skin. You can also see that there is a dark spot about an inch up from the stump. She also has patches on her torso of missing feathers and the skin is dry and flaky. My main concern at this point is whether or not it could possibly be something contagious.
    [​IMG]
    We are currently snuggling her and giving her some favorite treats, but I'll be putting her down soon. Poor thing.

10. TinyLittleFarm

TinyLittleFarm Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    Wisconsin
    Well, I just sent Penny to chicken heaven, if there is such a thing. I have never had to kill one of my birds before. Heck, I've never killed anything larger than a bug. It went pretty well. I don't think she suffered much if at all.

Still, I am surprised at how overwhelming my emotions were right afterwards and still are. I am still crying. Even when it needs to be done in mercy for the animal, killing feels horrible. Just horrible. RIP Penny.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by