Penny's foot is nearly off. Can we save her? UPDATE: foot amputated.

TinyLittleFarm

Songster
9 Years
Mar 8, 2010
Wisconsin
Penny is a six year old bantam Belgian D'Uccle who we inherited from another family. Before we got her, she had problems with her feet and some of her toes were crooked and she had lost all her nails and whatnot. She has never moved around very well, but has thrived nonetheless. Today we noticed that she was not walking at all. I picked her up and noticed that her feet were pretty covered in poop as if she hadn't moved at all in a couple days. I brought her in the house and soaked her in a warm bath to clean her up and see if we could tell what was wrong. This is what I discovered.

It's kind of hard to tell because she is wet and feathery, but her foot is about 80% disconnected from the bone. I have no idea when or how this happened. She will not put weight on it, so I know it hurts, but the wound is clean and doesn't look infected and not bleeding.

Poor baby.

My first thought was to put her out of her misery, but we really love Penny. She is very sweet and loves people. Other than her foot, she appears healthy. She is currently snuggled up in a blanket with my daughter.

Can she be saved? Should she be saved? If you think she can recover, how do I treat this?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Actually I was wrong. It's not her elbow but its right where her foot stops and her leg begin. Not a joint. I have it wrapped and she's calm.

I think it is possible to save your hen. What I would do is go ahead and amputate her foot. 80% is to far gone to regrow. She won't be able to walk as well as she used to, but it's better than having a necrotic foot to deal with. Rub antibiotic ointment on it, wrap it in gauze, and pray. I hope she gets better!

Amputating it has occurred to me as well. If I decide to go this route, how on earth do I do it? Just get a really sharp knife and make it quick? Is there anything I can do to help her as far as pain goes?

She's just so darn healthy other than this foot--I hate to put her down.

Thank you for checking on her! She is doing well. She is currently living part time in the heated garage and part time in the house. I'd keep her in the house all the time, but we have a dog who looks at her like the moment we turn our backs he is going to eat her. Her leg is wrapped and she is eating, drinking, and pooping. She is being pretty mellow and holds her broken leg up so as not to put any weight on it.

I would be fine with amputating that leg if I felt like she could return to her flock once it was healed. I know one legged chickens exist, but I don't want to damage her quality of life. But she is so stinkin' sweet and so healthy otherwise. I'm guessing that if I don't amputate, it will fall off. The bone is about 75% severed or so. Poor baby.

Back
Top Bottom