pens for ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by oldchickenman, Jan 14, 2009.

1. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    got ducks comeing in feb what kind of pen do i need and will thay use a koop like chickens if you have pics that would nice or could send me to a web site that would thanks all i have 20 ducks mix batch comeing

2. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    Wow, that's a lot of ducks!

I don't have pics since mine just live on the pond. Ducks need at least twice as much space per bird than chickens do, so you will need a pretty good sized pen! I think it is like 10 sq ft per bird, but don't quote me, I'm not for sure about that! So that would be at least a 20' x 10' pen, but I would make it bigger if they will be living in it constantly, just so they are happier. You can make them a coop if you want, but most ducks won't use them, unless you 'teach' them to. Feed them in the evening inside their house and then lock them up. Still they probably won't use it. Good luck with your new babies, I love my ducks!! Make sure you keep them in a brooder with a light till they are at least 4 weeks old, and then keep a light for warmth until it gets warmer outside. They could go outside in a dry place with a light by 4 weeks. Some people wait till 6 weeks, but it's up to you. Mine will be getting kicked out as soon as possible, they STINK!! [​IMG]

3. oldchickenman

oldchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2008
    Parsonsburg Md.
    thanks i have room for a 20x10 pen they will be in the brooder we built some brooders for chicks with deviders in them were also going to try quail too my son says they taste so good he is building pens for them and a brooder.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2009
  4. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I have 4 ducks. I have a pen and a hutch inside the pen. I didn't worry too much about size because they have the whole back yard to play in during the day. Their hutch is about 6 feet wide and 4' deep. They all pile together in one corner to sleep.

5. SportTees

SportTees Chillin' With My Peeps

I wouldn't worry to much about the ducks but I would make the pen as big as possible because they are nasty animals. I have to ducks in a 12x15 ft pen with hay for the floor and a kids pool. It stays pretty clean other then were the pool is. You can change the water daily with just the two and it stinks and is nasty. Remember ducks love Worm treats HEHE. A dog house works fine for housing at least in the south I don't know if it would keep them warm enough up north.

6. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    A dog house should be fine. My hutch is similar to a wood dog house. A lone duck might not be warm enough, but if you have several they should be fine.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by