Pens in a Barn

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by OSUman, Jan 2, 2010.

1. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    I know not many people have this kind of set up but does anyone have designs for pens for inside a barn?

2. onthespot

onthespot Deluxe Dozens

Mar 29, 2008
    Riverside/Norco, CA
    I am in the process of putting up 6x6 and 6x12 pens out of dog panels in a 12x24 covered horse pen. I have 3 6x6 and a 6x12, soon to add another 6x12 and 6x6 with a few more panels. I put panels on top too, just to keep them from pen hopping. Kinda crowded, but I think it is better than having them out in the rain this winter. We have not had much, but I'm sure it will come soon enough. I didn't care for the stinky slick pens with just this last rain we had. fooch! I would rather them stacked a little tight but dry in my "Project" than sprawled out in my "Shantytown" I had working before... lol. Dry and wind protected trumps wet and windblown any day in my book. They seem to like their new digs and are not stressing or fighting. I will try to post pics soon.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2010
  3. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    cool great idea the birds i have dont really fly so i dont have to worry bout the whole pen jumping problem

4. jetto

jetto Out Of The Brooder

Jun 15, 2009
    Huron County, Ohio
    We have our 4 chickens in a 5 x 15 dog kennel inside our barn.. We have a hutch in the pen with roosts inside and a nesting box. We do have the top tarped since the pen is near the door and on nice days I leave the door open for the birds to get sun and fresh air. I was afraid the hawks could get in if we had no top on the pen. Going to use a tractor for them this summer too for outside time.

And we're planning on turning one of the stalls into a chicken pen also for meat birds. Kristi

5. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    OK, I have been doing this study too. Now I have never shown these to anyone, so don't laugh. I am learning to use google sketchup and these are plans I have for my breeder pens. I actually have the materials for this out in my yard. Now the problem is converting a pile of material into an actual structure.

The first one shows the banty side. Pop doors lead to outside pens. The area above the pens will have brooders and broodie pens. Pens are 3 x 4

[​IMG]

The second one shows the large fowl side, also with pop doors, but full size doors for full height pens. Pens are 5 x 6

The ends will have double doors.

[​IMG]

6. usschicago1

usschicago1 Suburban Cochins

Aug 11, 2009
    Taunton, MA
    Wow! [​IMG]

7. Sir Birdaholic

Sir Birdaholic Night Knight

I split my barn into 4 sections. 1 for my horses, 1 for my purebred breeder chickens & turkeys, 1 for my breakfast egg birds & turks, & 1 for the feedroom. It works great.

8. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Jen-Thats really neat so you would just use wood for framing and then the chicken wire for the fence between the pens and also the door?

Jetto- Thats a good idea do they have their own lighting inside the pen?

9. jenjscott

jenjscott Mosquito Beach Poultry

May 24, 2008
    Southeast Arkansas
    That's right OSUMan, Of course, my doors on my LF pens won't be that nice unless I find some really good salvage deals. I just got tired of building and downloaded some screen doors.

10. OSUman

OSUman GO BUCKS

Apr 17, 2009
    Central Illinois
    Cool how many chickens would you keep in each pen do you think?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by