1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pentagon to Detail 20,000 Troops Inside the United States

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by jorgey, Dec 2, 2008.

1. jorgey

jorgey Out Of The Brooder

Mar 17, 2008
    Utah
    Has anyone else seen or heard about this??? For the most part no one in the media is covering it.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/30/AR2008113002217_pf.html

It is not the Federal Governments job to perform policing inside the US. That is why we have the National Guard under the direction of the individual State Governors. This scares the you-know-what right out of me. One incident like some stupid person blowing up something and the country will turn to marshal law.

I have spend a lot of time in extremely corrupt, "social" and communist countries and this is taking us one step closer to that way of life. I know, I know, many say that it is for your own safety, they are here to protect all of us. I say one by one we are giving up our rights and freedoms because people are week and afraid. We are being led like lemmings over a cliff. (It's for your own good you know.) Fear is a tool of darkness and it does not take you anywhere near light and truth.

Just read the article and make up your own mind. They make it sound all nice and cozy, but with everything else going on in the world it looks more like a warning sign to me of worse things to come.

2. Mojo Chick'n

Mojo Chick'n Empress of Chickenville

Hmmm. I have to wonder what good the army force would do in the event of a nuclear attack - no way to fight that on the ground.

I also wonder what they would do if "weapons of mass destruction" were unleashed on America.

The fact is that most attacks these days are suicide attacks - not standing forces that go against us in relative openess.

I simply don't see the point, but maybe that's just me.

eta - not that I think we should not try to find the sources for such attacks and work against this happening, just that once it DOES happen, what is left but clean-up?

meri

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  3. kinnip

kinnip Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2008
    Carrollton, GA
    For a country in a recession we sure do have a lot of money to throw into useless, though slightly scary, pursuits.

4. rooster-red

rooster-red Here comes the Rooster

Jun 10, 2007
    Douglasville GA
    This does not bode well.

5. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    These are specialized disaster response teams. Teams that may be needed in the case of nuclear, biological, or chemical (NBC) attacks. Jorgey, these teams are not sent in to police Americans. Chiknmama, these teams are not meant to engage in warfare or to fight an enemy and a nuclear attack does not necessarily mean bombs from Russia. More than likely it would be radioactive material blown up with conventional explosives to contaminate an area, a "dirty bomb". Theses teams would be necessary to take control of such a situation. They would provide containment to keep contaminants from spreading, setup triage to deal with the sick and injured, setup decontamination facilities, etc. Kinnip, while scary, I do not believe this to be a useless endeavor. With all that has happened the last decade, it is not out of the question for us to be hit with such an attack. Our government is taking the necessary steps to deal with such a disaster and would be remiss not to.

6. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    i wonder if they know something is coming up....[​IMG]..

7. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:im wondering if they have something planned.. 20,000 ground troops just sounds like a enforcement team to me, worlds supposed to end 2012 by mayan calendars (personally, i dont believe it). and then.. if its nuclear then wouldn't there be bombs dropped from the air? [​IMG] and i cant figure out why they would wait until NOW to do it and not earlier. perhaps something is coming up, or they've been threatened and are taking precautions ? [​IMG] im young and no nothing about the govt/military, perhaps we should listen to the retired Air force guy (or is it woman?) [​IMG]

8. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    DTchickens, you don't have to listen to me, just read the article.

The comments I have been reading on this disturb me. After hurricane Katrina everybody was in an uproar about the federal response. The City of New Orleans, and the state of Lousiana failed to take care of their own people. While the scale of it was overwhelming, the city and the state did not know how to implement their own disaster response plan, nor how to request help from the feds. It seems the city, the state, and the general public expected the federal government to come swooping in, in a cape and tights and miraculously save the day within hours. The feds did not have the capability to do this, aside from federal military resources, which generally were not expected to do this in the past except for augmenting state resources. After all the complaining about how the feds failed New Orleans, they are putting together teams to handle such disasters as well as terrorist attacks. Isn't this what everybody has been asking for? For the feds to be able to swoop in and save the day?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2008
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    mac..you are right... we DO need to be more prepared..thanks for reminding us all of that!..and what you say makes perfect sense to me, thanks, Wendy

10. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    Myself. I am wondering just what "they" arent telling the general public.

We have been seeing more military aircraft flying over our area over the last few weeks. We do not have an "active" base with an airfield near us.
    What concerns me is that I noticed the same type of thing a few months before the attacks on 9/11.

As far as the National Guard being there to be "here" Sure.
    They have changed their mission statement over the last few years. They are no longer being trained in case of natural disaster or a threat here. They are being trained for and being deployed to fight overseas. This has been discussed over and over again by observers.
    Recent ads for the NG that "we" have been sent for review have been geared more towards. "Hey. It's not the full time commitment that the Marine Corp, Navy, Air Force or regular Army want from you. But you can still be sent overseas to help fight the bad guys" Less of the neighbors there to help neighbors in time of crisis thing of the "old" NG.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by