1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Penygroes Farm

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by Penygroes Farm, Feb 18, 2014.

1. Penygroes Farm

Penygroes Farm New Egg

Feb 18, 2014
    Hi.

We are Carol and Ray and have recently moved into a smallholding near Llandeilo in beautiful South wales.

We have 4 Light Sussex hens who have been laying almost daily since we bought them in August.
    One of them has just stopped laying and is moulting from her breast area. I have read that although this is quite normal a boost is protein would help. Any suggestions or recommendations please? If I mix her usual feed with a higher protein Game feed, as suggested, will that be ok for the remaining 3 birds?

We also have 3 sheep, 3 horses, 2 dogs, a cat and are looking at some Welsh White pigs in the near future.

Carol and Ray

2. TwoCrows

TwoCrows Show me the way old friend... Staff Member

Mar 21, 2011
    New Mexico, USA
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

The one that has stopped laying and is molting from the breast sounds like you have a broody on your hands! Is she setting in the nest box, growling at you when you try to move her or wandering around "cluck cluck clucking"? Broodies can pluck their breasts bald to open up that brood patch for her soon to come babies. With our without a rooster, they go broody. They will set on nothing at all in the corner in hopes to raise a brood.

Good luck with your flock and enjoy BYC!

3. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    I agree with 2 crows she sounds broody

4. Welcome Carol and Ray to BYC! [​IMG]

5. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

Alright Carlo & Ray, [​IMG] great to have you joining the BYC flock [​IMG]

6. Wyandottes7

Wyandottes7 Overrun With Chickens

Jul 24, 2013
    Welcome to BYC![​IMG] We're glad to have you.

7. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

8. cluckcluckgirl

cluckcluckgirl Queen of the Coop Premium Member

Jun 16, 2012
    Tending to my chickens
    [​IMG] I use canned cat food as a protein supplement during molt months. You might post your question in the "Feeding and Watering Your Flock" forum.[​IMG]

Glad you joined!

9. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome To BYC!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by