People 50 & over...advise?

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Carole AM, Jul 10, 2007.

1. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Help! I need advice. I just turned the BIG 50, and I wonder if AARP is worth joining. If its beneficial, I will join, but otherwise, I hate to spend the money.

2. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    Do you have life insurance? If not, it might be worth joining just to get the life insurance without needing a medical exam... just speaking from experience with my husband...

3. Carole AM

Carole AM Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2007
    Goshen, Indiana
    Yes, we do. but it is getting expensive!

4. Country Gal

Country Gal Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 2, 2007
    Capac, MI
    My husband was diagnosed with cancer right after we got engaged. Of course, he didn't have life insurance. Our only choice at that point was to get several of the smaller policies that didn't require a medical history or exam - thankfully they offered it at work. He turned 50 a week before he went into the hospital for a bone marrow transplant, and I promptly signed him up for AARP. Unfortunately, things went badly in the hospital before I had a chance to purchase their life insurance policy to supplement the ones I purchased through work.

Since I'm not 50, I'm not aware of any of their other benefits, other than the travel discounts they advertise on TV...

5. jackiedon

jackiedon Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2007
    Central Arkansas
    You will get your money back from the dues if you ever go to Branson, MO. You get discounts for just about anything with AARP. [​IMG]

jackie

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

My folks have had it for years. Mom is always been a bargin hunter. She says it's one of the best things she's ever done

7. blossom hen

blossom hen Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2007
    NE Tx
    Carole, I joined as soon as I turned 50. Signed up for the most years offered on the form (8 ) and got my money back in discounts on the first trip I took afterward! Travel discounts are really all I've used so far, but I understand from older friends that AARP supplemental insurance when Medicare kicks in is about the best we can find in Texas. Guess I'll find out about that in another five years! I do recommend AARP to everyone who asks me about it. They have excellent information on legislation that will impact us as we age - healthcare wise, financially, etc. -Blossom

8. Poison Ivy

Poison Ivy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2007
    Naples, Florida
    My mom uses her AARP every chance she gets she loves it. She just told me the other day your getting up there. You'll be able to get it pretty soon! lol I said not for awhile i'm only 41!!! she said it goes by quickly.

9. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    Well, I can tell you from personal experience...we have three vehicles and one motorcycle through AARP. We decided this spring to check around and see if we could get it cheaper....we checked independents and every name brand out there..well known that is. Every single agent told my DH that they couldn't beat the cost of the insurance we get through AARP. plus we have the policy that if you are in the hospital it will pay an amount for each day you are in there. We haven't used any of the other offers yet. Hope all this helps.

10. Standard Hen

Standard Hen Chillin' With My Peeps

May 17, 2007
    Massachusetts
    I get their mailings all the time and have always been told by others that it is not really worth it to join. After seeing these replys I suppose I should check into it more!
    I know I have been a member of AAA for vehicles for over 30 years and what they offer is no big savings at all. I have looked at many things such as insurance etc. and found it all cheaper elsewhere. I only basically have it for if I ever break down etc. I will check into AARP more thoroughly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by