People are so ungrateful

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by I have WHAT in my yard?, Jan 31, 2011.

1. I have WHAT in my yard?

I have WHAT in my yard? Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2008
    Eggberg, PA
    We have a tractor. DH has always since we got it five years ago plowed out all of our neighbors. He never asked for a dime and rarely received more than cakes and cookies.

Last winter we had back to back storms that were worse than what we have this time. And DH was laid off. Usually when people would offer him money he would say no, but last winter he said yes. He told one guy that he was laid off and would appreciate some money for fuel. The guy was real friendly about it and then gave him $100! Way more than DH expected but the guy acknowledged he would have owed way more for all of the previous plowing. So most people gave him some money ranging from the $100 to $5.

Then he found out that the one person called everyone else and told them that DH was Charging $100 per plow out! He's not charging anything!

So he just keeps plowing. So this one woman stops him one day and tells him that last year he damaged her trees by piling too much snow too close to the bases of them and would he not do that again. He shrugged and moved on and kept plowing her out. 3 feet of snow has to be put some where!

Today she left a note in our mailbox saying she didn't like the way he plowed this last time either!! It was ice - hello! It was a miserable plow job the snow was very heavy and icy and she was blaming him for the fact that her garage door was frozen shut!

I am tempted to tell him to just tell her to hire some one and drive right past her drive. His feelings are actually hurt. [​IMG]

Keep plowing her out or blow her off?

2. kelseygirl707

kelseygirl707 Dances with Chickens

Mar 3, 2009
    Lakeport, Ca.
    Blow her off, se how she likes paying some guy that actually doesn't care, and charges $300! She can come kiss his feet after that!

**edited for language**

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  3. SpringChickens

SpringChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    College Station, Tx
    If she's going to be that rude, I absolutely think he needs to tell her to hire someone. If he's plowing her driveway for free, she better be appreciative of what she gets, even if its not to her exact specifications!!

I'd bet if he tells her to hire someone else, she'll start backtracking REALLY quick.

Good luck [​IMG]

**edited for language**

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 31, 2011
  4. TinkleTurkey

TinkleTurkey Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Palmdale
    I know from when I lived in Idaho that hiring someone to plow is very expensive, but necessary unless you like getting an intense upper-body workout every day at 7am

I would have LOVED for someone to just come by and do it out of niceness! Yes, theres always someone who will complain about something, no matter what!

5. Spookwriter

Spookwriter Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Feb 23, 2010
    Ohio
    I use my tractor and blade here for snow. My driveway, the township road, neighbors driveways.
    Even over in town.

Glad to do it. On my nickle, and I consider it a public service.

If one of my neighbors even thought of complaining about it, you can bet I would pass them up.
    Let them do it theirself or pay to have it done.

6. vtsarahb

vtsarahb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2009
    Bradford, VT
    Totally agree!!!

If she doesn't appreciate what he's doing for her (which she obviously doesn't!) then she can find somebody else to do the job, end of story! She sounds extremely rude and ungrateful. Your husband doesn't need to deal with that BS. Blow her off!

7. BlakesFarm

BlakesFarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2011
    Upstate SC
    skip her house

8. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Wow - people, huh! I think it best he stop plowing her out. The next step is she'll be suing him for damage to her tree or garage door or whatever. He'd probably be able to defend himself adequately by explaining he didn't charge but who needs that stress/hassle in their lives?

9. noodleroo

noodleroo Snuggles with Chickens

Apr 29, 2010
    Rockport, Tx
    She probably thinks that her tax money or homeowner fees pays for it in some way. Or she is just a jerk. Either way, I would politely write a note that explained that I volunteered to plow, that I was not hired by any organization and that her attitude was hurtful. I would continue to plow just as I had always done.

Don't let someone else's bad behavior change one thing that you do; not one thing...

Last edited: Jan 31, 2011
  10. DuckLady

DuckLady Administrator Staff Member

Jan 11, 2007
    Washington State
    Send her a bill.

I can see where someone might nicely say that while they appreciate the job, please be careful of blah blah blah.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by