People biting rooster...need advice

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by stoo, Aug 6, 2010.

1. stoo

stoo Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Hagerstown
    I have a young (4-5 mo. old) rooster that is my shadow and sometimes he bites me for no reason - or it's almost like he does it for attention. Sometimes he bites my mom too if she goes to pick him up. He follows me every where and has no interest in chickens. A male Roeun drake follows him every where and we are in the process of building a pen to seperate the ducks from the chickens. I almost wonder if the drake gets on the roosters nerves. I don't know what's up with this roo - it's like he's trying to tell me something. He bites really hard sometimes and I'm more worried for my old arthritic mother getting bit up than me. Has anyone ever had a bitey roo that grew out of it or does anyone have any training tips? We like him a lot, would just like the biting to stop. Thanks.

2. EweSheep

EweSheep Flock Mistress

Jan 12, 2007
    Land of Lincoln
    I thought your avatar was MissPrissy.......I guess you are NOT MissPrissy LOL!

if I had that rooster doing that, he would be GONE, either rehome him to a farmer that don't mind attacking roos or in the stewpot. I'd prefer to put him in stewpot because the nasty disposition can be passed down to the chicks.

3. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    As a vegetarian and animal lover I always do my best to re-home everything, but family come first.

Vicious behaviour can be inherited so it is always a worry if you have a rooster with a nasty streak, so he may have to be culled.

If you really want to keep him, you and anybody else that he attacks will have to show him who is boss. Grab him when he leaves the coop and walk around with him under your arm with his beak temporarily taped if you have to. You may need to do this over a period of days. It is said to work, but I have no personal experience as I have been lucky to have placid boys.

Good Luck,
    Sandie

4. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

My first thought with your title: People biting rooster - was to stop letting People bite your rooster. [​IMG] Sorry

Sometimes my young guys go thru this phase - will bite me when I pick them up or peck harder than normal at my leg/foot. When they do - I grab them by the beak or neck and sternly say "no". It might look and seem strange, but it works for me. Takes a couple times, a real stubborn cockerel, might take him a week before he stops.

5. catwalk

catwalk Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    sounds like hormones. Don't put up with it, or it will get worse. I just had to have a rooster style showdown with a Silkie roo who I'd let get out of control, but I was SO tired of bleeding!

6. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    I have one right now that i am showing him who the boss is. When he does that snatch that roo up by the legs and hang him upside down. he'll flap and squawk for a bit, but will then settle down. I think to think of that as shakin some of the meaness out of him. Then put him under your arm and walk around with him. I like to kind of parade around with him so the other birds see it too. I think it's just showing everyone who the boss is. If that doesn't work drop kick him into a vat of soup! there are a lot of roos out there and he can be replaced very easily.

7. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    When he does it, make him be a football. Once or twice works for me. I go barefoot so if I ever have to football one, it doesn't hurt it, just boots it a little ways. It give them a surprise and a shock and they stop pretty quick.

8. cptkracker

cptkracker Out Of The Brooder

Jul 11, 2010
    Mean roosters makea tasty soup [​IMG]

9. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    Quote:I thought that, too. [​IMG] [​IMG]

I won't keep mean birds. Noisy birds, yes. Mean, no. There are plenty of well-adjusted, well-behaved roos out there -- and yours isn't one. You can do what the others suggest to change the behavior or you can make soup out of him. Personally, I'd go with soup. Then, you can bite him! [​IMG]

Remember what Campbells says: "Soup is good food." [​IMG]

10. Whispering Winds

Whispering Winds Chillin' With My Peeps

My first thought with your title: People biting rooster - was to stop letting People bite your rooster. Sorry

[​IMG] [​IMG] ME TOO!!! I thought what the heck, smack them a good one!!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by