People buy them??????????

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by laughingull, Feb 12, 2011.

1. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    I just noticed a place selling 4 peacocks for over 500 bucks- do folks really pay that? Would those be some kind of special peacocks? Where I live they are feral- in large droves and though pretty, a pretty big nuisance. They are the prime pest in my vegetable garden (to get anything to grow I have to turn my garden into a reverse aviary with fencing). In fact and they nest under the bushes in my yard. We used to have less of a problem when my dog was young enough to chase them, but now no such luck and they perch on my porch and poop on the walk. Don't get me wrong- they are beautiful and I am fond of them. I am just wondering if I should grab a few and start breeding them rather than trying to chase them out [​IMG]

2. Camelot Farms

Camelot Farms Chickenista

I would pay 500$ for 4 if they were 2 breeding pairs AND were Pied. [​IMG]

I purchased a 6mo old pair of Black Shouldered for 100$ and it was a great deal.

3. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes some peacocks will sell for 500 + each

4. laughingull

laughingull Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2010
    California
    Thanks for the replies- I also did a bit of searching. Wow, I had no idea that they came in so many colors. I am guessing the ones we have are not among those considered particularly rare/fancy (I think we have Indian Blues). Certainly are hardy birds. The racoons don't seem to make a dent and despite that every dog I know would love to catch one - I have never seen one caught! (You should see how my stepfather has taken over my lazy old dog's job of chasing them- she watches him then expects a treat when he is done). I did have the opportunity to see them in the wild when I lived briefly in India- totally turned my appreciation of them up a notch that they live in the jungle with the big kitties.
    Anyway, when it comes down to it I probably wouldn't have the heart to try to catch the little ones up anyway, nor do I relish the idea of them sharing my chickens feed. O'well. Guess I will need another scheme to get through these economic rough times!

5. txcarl1258

txcarl1258 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2010
    Pleasanton
    Wish we had feral peacocks where I live. The only thing feral I can think of is hogs. Trade you some hogs for some peacocks! LOL

6. KZ

KZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 9, 2010
    Fountain, Colorado
    Yes, people buy them! I actually just sold a pair of juvenile IB males for $150.00 today. I guess it depends on where you are. I am in Colorado, and we certainly do not have them running wild. Even the India Blues are unusual here. Some people around here charge more, some less - but there really are not that many folks selling Peafowl nearby.

7. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA
    Quote:yes there's ruffly 185 possible color/ pattern combos in peafowl, some of which sell at $2000 per yearling pairs.
    Yes sounds like you have been looking at the IB's, they're a dime a dozen, most all the others are over $100 each some that as eggs.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Quote:yes there's ruffly 185 possible color/ pattern combos in peafowl, some of which sell at $2000 per yearling pairs.
    Yes sounds like you have been looking at the IB's, they're a dime a dozen, most all the others are over $100 each some that as eggs.

With the two new colors ..its like 205 possible comos now...

9. Boggy Bottom Bantams

Boggy Bottom Bantams Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Hahira, GA

With the two new colors ..its like 205 possible comos now...

Oh yeah!
    I forgot to add those in to the mix, remembered them price wise but completely forgot about them total wise.

10. rtroxel

rtroxel Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2010
    Northwest Indiana
    Last edited: Feb 14, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by