People calcium for chooks?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by UlrikeDG, Oct 7, 2012.

1. UlrikeDG

UlrikeDG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    I bought a big thing of Nature's Plus Chewable Calcium for my kids, and then found out my kids don't like it! Can chickens eat it? Any concerns about amount?

It contains:

100 IU Vitamin D (as ergocalciferol)
    500 mg Calcium (as lactate, aspartate, gluconate, carbonate)
    250 mg Magnesium (as gluconate, aspartate, hydroxide)
    Fructose, acacia gum, stearic acid, silica, malted milk, nonfat milk, vanilla and whey.

2. CluckyCharms

CluckyCharms Chillin' With My Peeps

I'm brand new to rearing/raising chickens...so please don't go by what I say alone (wait for other responses from people more qualified than I am)

Since the vitamins are 'man made' for human consumption for the regulation of vitamin and nutrient intake, and are not specifically made for chickens in regard to the amount and measurement for their species, I would say don't give it to them.

From what I read, in a chicken that is allowed to free range and feed off their surroundings, Vitamin D supplements should not be administered. They naturally absorb the required amount of Vitamin D when allowed to range. If your chickens aren't free-rangers and spend alot of time in a coop or out of the sun in other manners, Vitamin D is a very good supplement for them when given in the right dosage.

Magnesium and Calcium are good supplements for a chicken who is laying eggs, as both of these help to keep the eggshells structurally stable and well formed. However, oyster shells have the safest calcium content for chickens and it should given freely, not mixed in their feed. They should be provided with a separate container for their oyster shells, as their bodies will direct them to eat it when needed. Mixing it in their food can cause them to consume more calcium than they need.

Acacia Gum is one of the listed ingredients in your vitamins, and Acacia is on the list of " no nos"...toxic plants for chickens.

Stearic acid is a saturated fatty acid [​IMG]

I'm going to say "nope, I wouldn't give that to my chickens", particularly because it was formulated for a human body's nourishment.

Oyster shells are best for the cluckies, and also their own egg shells, washed, dried and crushed up.

If you really want your kids to have these for their bodies, you could do what my mother used to do to me when I refused to eat the Flintstones...she'd take away a privilege (like watching tv or going to the mall, etc). It takes 10 seconds to chew a vitamin.[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 8, 2012
  3. UlrikeDG

UlrikeDG Out Of The Brooder

Feb 21, 2011
    Thanks for the info!

The hearts are HUGE. I was expecting something Flinstones sized, and they're more like the size of chocolate hearts, so I can't really blame them for not wanting to eat them. I'll probably just compost them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by