People door and chicken door??? Can they use both?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by 7cutechix, Nov 14, 2009.

1. 7cutechix

7cutechix Out Of The Brooder

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    My hens are currently in a chicken tractor that is way too small, they are 7 months old, so we built a new house for them with a temporary run that will hopefully last the winter. Question: If they go in the run most of the time and let themselves in the chicken door, can I let them out the people door to free range if I am home? Will they go in the people door when it gets dark, or will they be confused?? Will they know the house? Or the door??? Thanks!!!

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    There is a reason they are called bird brains, but if they have been living in the coop for at leasy a week or so, I would expect it to work. The first night I'd make sure I was around at bedtime to help guide them if necessary, but I think one night is all the help they might need.

The first time I let mine out of the run, a few could not find the run door at bedtime. But I only had to help them once. After that, they had it down pat.

3. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Thanks...anyone else?? I just want to make sure I can let them out 2 different doors and they'll know where to go at night. Does anyone else let them out 2 different doors?

4. vstoltzfus

vstoltzfus Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2009
    Lancaster County, PA
    My hens go out the hen door, the people door, and through the nesting boxes, if the access door is left open. Never had a problem with them not finding their way back to the hen house. I think yours will figure it out.

5. njones

njones Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2009
    Wisconsin
    Hi....Mine use both doors. I let them out into the run in the morning thru the chicken door. Later when I think they are done laying, I open the people door. They always come back when it starts to get dark and use the people door if it is open or othewise go around the coop and go into the chicken door. I don't think chickens are as dumb as everyone thinks they are. Or maybe I just have really smart chickens....LOL [​IMG]

6. Uzuri

Uzuri Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    My coop has three doors, all within reach of the run (basically because the run is built around it; long story, not important in context).

Anyhow, EVERY chicken knows that EVERY door goes into the coop. They go in and out through the chicken door all day long, but wait for me to let them in the big door at night (I guess they want tucked in). And sometimes one will go in or out the smaller door near the nesting box when I have that one open. Miss Bossy Beak is quite willing to go right over or under me to get through any of these doors; the others aren't so pushy.

7. 7cutechix

Jun 9, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Thanks guys, I just needed a couple of people to tell me the girls aren't a dumb as some people think! I HOPE they'll be in their new home by next week!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by