People food ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kmartinez, Jan 25, 2015.

1. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Is there food chicks/chickens should not eat? like avacado, onions mushrooms and things like that. I have a parrot and I make him an organic flower mix with chia, flax, assorted herbs and flowers like cornflowers..can they eat that as well? I know what a parrot should not eat so should it be the same for them as well?

2. kmartinez

kmartinez Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 9, 2015
    Ohh and i forgot, can chickens pass germs and sickness to parrots and vis versa? I have my chicks away from my parrot I make sure i wash hands and things, basically I am treating the chicks like an outside parrot coming in, he has no contact with them nor they with him..Hubby brought it up to me last night thinking no but I think yes I mean they are both birds LOL

3. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Yes, all birds have similar food proclivities.

Yes, there are diseases that are passed from bird species to other bird species. Wild birds can pass Marek's and avian flu and avian leukemia to our chickens. There are some bird diseases that can be passed to humans such as avian flu and salmonella. And some we haven't heard of yet.

That's why all wise humans wash their hands before they eat and after handling chickens or parrots.

4. QuiltinGramma

QuiltinGramma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2015
    Rainier, Washington
    I wish I could remember where I saw it but I saw a thread where is had a picture of a parrot with a baby chick. The parrot may have even had hatched it.

I really new here, too. So, I'm doing a lot of reading and am trying to absorb as much as possible but....sometimes I just can't remember exactly where I fine things that I read. Sorry.

According to this one post I read, that person was letting her parrot raise her chick (because the parrot kept laying eggs but they weren't hatching).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by