People in California--feed prices???

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChickenCharmer, Dec 17, 2009.

1. ChickenCharmer

ChickenCharmer Chillin' With My Peeps

I get layer pellets for over 15$ for 50lbs and I need a cheaper place to get feed. Any suggestions for cheap feed stores in the Santa Cruz area? Thanks.

2. the Pollo Loco

the Pollo Loco Chillin' With My Peeps

May 27, 2009
    Santa Cruz,CA
    Hi, I'm not sure where you get your feed from? I believe Scotts Valley feed sells for about 12.60 +tax I don't recall what I paid for at General feed and Seed. There's also a place in Pajaro, but then that's too far and by the time you add up the gas, you end up paying more. Maybe with all the birds you have you can purchase bulk and get a quantity discount or something, just a thought. [​IMG]

3. G Wiz Ranch

G Wiz Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    Lompoc, CA
    I used to get mine from a store called Lemos, it is "King-Brand" feed from King City. I was paying $13.99 for 50lb 16% Natural Layer pellets. Now I get the same feed from someone else cheaper, I cant say how much [​IMG]. If you ever come down to San Luis Obispo, I can hook you up. Or try this place: Scotts Valley Feed, 5470 Scotts Valley Dr., Scotts Valley 95066 (831) 438-3194. they sell the king brand feed too. Here is kings web site to find dealers: http://www.king-brand.com/find_dealer.php. You can try Wal-mart, but the bags are 40lb and my chooks didn't like it.

4. crazy huhn

crazy huhn Chillin' With My Peeps

May 24, 2008
    What brand do you feed? Walmart brand is not really cheap, it is only #40 and has a lower protein level than other brands. Many birds will not like it, mine were laying significantly less when I was feeding it. They had more droppings which smelled not very pleasant.....
    If you like Purina brand like I do, maybe you want to consider a subscription of the "Poultry Press". Every month it has a coupon "buy 2 and get $5 off", plus several times a year some extra coupons. The articles in there are a lot about poultry shows, but a lot of interesting material as well. It saves me a lot.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by