People in larger cities ... USPS and receiving chickens question

MaLoTu

Chirping
Mar 28, 2015
Hello,

My PO services more than 100,000 addresses (easily, probably double or triple that). When I call there is no answer and all the VM boxes are full.

I am expecting a shipment of pullets today. I am getting text alerts, but I am worried that they will not call me when they arrive and who knows how often they update that system.

Does anyone have first-hand experience with dealing with the PO in a large city for receiving a shipment of chickens?

My post office only serves about half that size but I feel certain that they will call you immediately. Mine arrived probably sometime last night and the post office called me at 6:00 a.m.! When I walked in the door of the post office I understood why....they are LOUD!!!! So they will want you to come get them as soon as possible! They even told me to come before they open the window and ring the bell.
My shipping email said it would be a good idea to call the post office and let them know but I figured I would probably talk to somebody that had no clue...so I took my chances.
Good luck!

They are LOUD, especially if you're not the only one receiving chicks. I've gone to pick mine up in the past, and there were so many peeping boxes in the back it was almost deafening. The poor postal workers looked pretty miserable and were very happy to hand me that box and send me packing. My PO doesn't service a 1/4 of what yours does, but they never pick up the phone when I call either :p I've always just driven there in person a week or so before I expect my chicks and ask them to call me when they arrive. But even when I've forgotten to do that (a few times) they were calling bright and early in the morning.

I called mine a day or two before because I was scared they would not contact me. As soon as they unloaded them off the truck I got a call to pick them up. That was around 6:30 to 7am and by the time I got out of the house they were already open and very happy to hand me my box of peepers. I got lots of funny looks too from people waiting in line and a few asked me what was in the box, lol.

Last edited:
I wonder if I should just drive down there. It was one day express shipping. Scheduled to deliver yesterday. But instead just left St. Paul mn last night at 8 ... Called the main PO hotline ... Waiting to hear back.

They are LOUD, especially if you're not the only one receiving chicks. I've gone to pick mine up in the past, and there were so many peeping boxes in the back it was almost deafening. The poor postal workers looked pretty miserable and were very happy to hand me that box and send me packing. My PO doesn't service a 1/4 of what yours does, but they never pick up the phone when I call either
tongue.png
I've always just driven there in person a week or so before I expect my chicks and ask them to call me when they arrive. But even when I've forgotten to do that (a few times) they were calling bright and early in the morning.

I've had similar experiences with receiving 3 pound packages of honey bees.

When I am expecting shipments of honey bees I print of 4 or 5 notices with my PC printer and take them to the post office about a week before. Don't forget to include your phone number.

PS:
The next time I think that I will wear my bee veil down to the post office to pick up my honey bees. That way I doubt that the good men and women behind the counter at the USPS office will make me wait in line to claim my bees.

The unofficial postal oath reads- "Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds." --- James Farley
Mr. Farley conveniently failed to mention the swift and painful sting of bees!
lau.gif

Last edited:
I wonder if I should just drive down there. It was one day express shipping. Scheduled to deliver yesterday. But instead just left St. Paul mn last night at 8 ... Called the main PO hotline ... Waiting to hear back.

A small joke at the expense of the USPS.

Do you know why postage just went up?

You don't?

It was to pay for the storage!

Good luck with your chicks.

Where were they headed to from St. Paul? Mine were shipped out Monday mid-day. They arrived yesterday in Jackson MS (about 1.5 hours away) around noon but I didn't get the call until this morning that they had arrived at the local post office. I think they probably came in very late afternoon yesterday and spent the night in the post office...then the morning crew called me to pick up. I feel pretty sure you'll get a phone call bright and early in the morning.
What hatchery did you order from? Mine came from Meyer and were packaged very nicely with lots of straw and a "heat pack" so I felt a lot better when I saw they had what I hope was a comfortable journey. I was picturing them sliding all over the place in a cardboard box!
Crossing fingers for that early morning call! :)

Where were they headed to from St. Paul? Mine were shipped out Monday mid-day. They arrived yesterday in Jackson MS (about 1.5 hours away) around noon but I didn't get the call until this morning that they had arrived at the local post office. I think they probably came in very late afternoon yesterday and spent the night in the post office...then the morning crew called me to pick up. I feel pretty sure you'll get a phone call bright and early in the morning.
What hatchery did you order from? Mine came from Meyer and were packaged very nicely with lots of straw and a "heat pack" so I felt a lot better when I saw they had what I hope was a comfortable journey. I was picturing them sliding all over the place in a cardboard box!
Crossing fingers for that early morning call! :)

They are headed to CA. I got a notice that they were in San Francisco at 2:30pm (PST). It is now 3:45 and I havent gotten another update, nor can I get ahold of my PO or the SF airport PO. SF isn't very far from me, but that probably doesn't mean anything in relation to delivery.

I purchased two lavender Orps and 2 splash Marans from a breeder that calls their establishment Chicken Scratch Poultry. She has been very hands-on and helpful through the process. They are pullets, so hopefully they will be ok
sad.png

Back
Top Bottom