People in Washington - Advice on neighbors dog

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by tsuya, Nov 6, 2014.

1. tsuya

tsuya Out Of The Brooder

Mar 5, 2013
    Snohomish in the PNW
    First off, I live in Snohomish WA just outside Monroe (urban but sort of not). I got a phone call today that my jersey giant, giant cochin (who is actually a friends chicken) and silkie were killed by the neighbors dog. My two buffs and Amerucana are missing and presumed dead. My friend who owned the cochin Abi is threatening to shoot the dog. My question is, if we find out who the owner is of this dog, what can I do/ask of the owner?

I'm super up set right now, these girls are my pets. So if this doesn't make sense, sorry.

I knew there was a weak spot in their run, but I had to wait until tomorrow (payday) to get it fixed...

2. Free Feather

Free Feather Chillin' With My Peeps

You could ask that they reimburse you in money, or chickens. Yes, you will not get the old ones back, but I do not know of anyone who can do that. Or that they just keep the dog away.

3. minnehaha

minnehaha Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2014
    Spokane, WA
    I've been trying to find the law for your county concerning dogs that attack livestock. I know that years ago here in Spokane county, I called the humane society about dogs who were chasing my horses in their pasture. I was told that it was legal in the county, outside city limits to shoot dogs who were chasing/attacking/killing livestock.0

Last edited: Nov 8, 2014
  4. RavensRansom

RavensRansom Out Of The Brooder

Sep 24, 2014
    Kent, WA
    Here's what I found:
    Animal Services

Snohomish County's animal services include licensing pets, licensing and inspecting kennels, and responding to animal-related complaints and concerns in the unincorporated areas of the county.

Report an animal complaint

-------------

Leash law
    Snohomish County has a countywide leash law that requires any dog off the property of the owner to be under control of a responsible individual. It is against the law to allow your dog to roam off your property.

http://wa-snohomishcounty.civicplus.com/1940/Animal-Services

If the dog came on your property after your chickens then the owner's already broken the law because it wasn't under control. You have every right to pursue this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by