people opinion on cochins,buckeyes,wyandotte

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ljblue, Nov 30, 2012.

1. ljblue

ljblue Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    I am looking to get some cochins,buckeyes and columbian and blue laced red wyandottes for next spring.Are they clam/sweet chickens ?What r u experience with these breeds? Good or bad [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 1, 2012
  2. Rhode Island

Rhode Island Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Australia
    Cochins are VERY puffy. Buckeyes are said to be hardy chickens. I have no idea about the other ones.

3. ljblue

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    thanks for the info.

4. Dahlisgrams

Dahlisgrams Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2012
    The Big Apple
    I have all three of these breeds. The friendliest is the BLRW and right behind are the Buckeyes. The cochins that I have are calm and sweet but shy. All are calm birds. This is just my experience with them and each chicken is different so YMMV. Hope this helps.

5. Choco Maran

Choco Maran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Ribera New Mexico
    I have cochins and BLRW as well and I love both. Both are very sweet and clam birds. Mine cochins tend to be a bit more shy while the BLRW are always ready for a petting. All the wyandottes I have had are pretty good sweet and clam, that is way I'm getting coloumbian this spring as well. I have already ordered for a April arrivle.

6. ChickensRDinos

ChickensRDinos Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2012
    Los Angeles
    My bantums cochin is VERY broody. She is otherwise quite friendly but she is broody so frequently I don't get many eggs.

7. Rhode Island

Rhode Island Out Of The Brooder

Nov 30, 2012
    Australia
    Never owned a bantam, unless Peri Peri was one...

8. ljblue

Nov 30, 2012
    Southeasten Ohio
    Thanks again everyone, sounds like we are getting great chickens this coming spring.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by