people shooting at my chickens?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by jc17, Jul 29, 2013.

1. jc17

jc17 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Iowa
    i went out to let my chickens out this morning and noticed on of them was bleeding. then i noticed one was chewing on an airsoft BB. i found more on the ground. i cant believe some one would do this. Also weird suspicious things have happened. Some one let my birds out in the middle of the night. Also they got into my bird feed and fed them? i found this very weird. they had a full feeder in the coop. im in the process of getting a game camera. does any one else have any advice?

2. shelbydog

shelbydog Songster

Dec 30, 2012
    Bristow, ok
    Sounds like some kid(s) that need lessons in respecting others. Sorry, I have no advice other than getting game camera or being out on patrol to see who is harassing your birds. How close are your neighbors?

3. thomasboyle

thomasboyle Songster

Feb 28, 2013
    Northwest Hills of CT
    Can you add padlocks to the coop door? Install a hasp lock lock it with a padlock.

If you have an electric fence, you can run a hot wire to the door handle or lock from the inside, so when anyone touches it on the outside, they get a good zapping! Capture it all on a game cam and have your video go viral on Youtube!

Just don't forget to turn off the charger before you open the door!

4. jc17

jc17 In the Brooder

Jul 10, 2013
    Iowa
    well the nearest neighbor is probably around 150 yards to 200 yards away separated by thick woods. and the electric fence is a good idea :D

5. ericmcginn5

ericmcginn5 Chirping

Apr 2, 2013
    that tarible pore chickens. proble some tenager if im guessing

6. Triple Willow

Triple Willow Songster

Mar 1, 2013
    Lots of motion security lights, driveway alarm (to set off alarm inside the house if something passes by), game cam or even better a real security camera hooked up to your tv and dvd recorder. I would go to ALL the neighbors and tell them what's going on, ask them if they have seen anything and ask them to help you keep an eye on things. Tell them about someone shooting your chickens with the air soft BB's. They know if their kid has an air soft BB gun and may be whipping their kids butt as soon as you leave. Be sure to tell them that you have notified law enforcement and will press charges. You may well be talking to the culprit or their parents when you do that. **Keep your security gadgets secret.** Do go to law enforcement and tell them what is going on! Get a BIG barking dog to let you know when something is going on outside. Lock everything up.

7. Island Chick

Island Chick Chirping

Apr 11, 2013
    Puget Sound
    Personally I would call the police. Just incase you ever need an official record of instances or if anything ever gets stolen or this happens again they might be able to get fingerprints now and compare to later problems.

And if your nervous to talk to neighbors yourself as some people are plan crazy, cops should be willing to do that for you.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: