People used to eat guinea's

Discussion in 'Guinea Fowl' started by Davaroo, Apr 14, 2012.

1. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    I thought it was odd when I first read it, but it is mentioned often in old poultry books.
    Guineas had a following back in the day and were often featured on restaurant menus in the big cities.

Believe it or not.

2. PeepsCA

PeepsCA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    They still do... it's served as "African Pheasant". And now a days the French and Jumbo varieties are popularly bred/raised for a Guinea version of meat type birds (French have to be artificially inseminated tho).

3. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    We eat guinea all the time.
    young guinea fried like chicken is wonderful [​IMG]
    I love guinea and dumplings,guinea noodle soup and guinea gumbo [​IMG]

4. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    You are makin' me salivate Zaz [​IMG] ... I've been eyeballing a couple bullies lately for the crockpot!

5. zazouse

zazouse Overrun With Chickens

Sep 7, 2009
    Southeast texas
    Well what ya waiting for.
    The younger guinea say around 6 months are real tender and that is what i like but older guineas make good gumbo and such just like and old layen hen(cchicken).
    I only use the breast and leg meat and feed the rest to the guardians so i skin mine so i do not have to pluck them,once you have done a few you will learn to tell the young from the old by how easy they pull apart when processing.

6. PeepsCA

Mar 28, 2011
    Big Oak Valley, CA
    Well I sorta need their genetics in the gene pool right now, but they are pushin' all the wrong buttons lately and my fuse is gettin' rather short, lol. I don't have any that are under 6 months, most are almost yr old. But I do plan on raising some from this yr's hatches just for butcherin'... as soon as I cowgirl up/grow a pair and just do it that is.

7. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Guinea gumbo is VERY popular in my area.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by