people who have imported birds or who are impotring birds... L@@K!

roocrazy

Songster
10 Years
Jun 11, 2009
minnesota!!!!
how much exactly does this process cost if i must ask??
tongue.png

i have not imported any. depending on where you import them from, it could cost upwards of $1k, so i've been told by people that have. i don't remember where all the costs came in, but it seems like there was shipping, customs and quarantine costs. seems like he spent 700 to bring some birds over from norway or denmark

Last edited:
roocrazy
If you type greenfire farm in as a search you should find them. It is my understanding that Paul has done the import process and perhaps would be willing to share the info with you.

Do a search on here there has been more than one post about it.
I know between vet bills, shipping and quarantine fees it is not cheep at all.

Chris

This is far from cheap, You first must secure an import broker familiar with livestock imports, expect to pay $350 just to get set up with them to import, Then you will need to determine what country you would like to import from and insure that there are no import bans from that region. Then Locate a breeder willing to work with you. Once these steps are complete a complete veterinary helth check on teh originating flock, the actual birds that will be imported. Then Complete a VS-17 form and get approval from USDA. Now You are ready to schedule shipping via Air of course. You can expect $1000 / CBM for overseas air imports. that will be roughly 8 large fowl with space. The birds will be in quarantine for 21-30 days with a $45 fee per bird. the Overall process can take a year or more and is far from in-expensive I hope you are not disapointed with what you recieve, I would suggest a flight to visit the breeder and flock before getting in too deep

With all the costs of quarantine and shipping, you'd want to purchase top of the line, very best quality birds. So just the cost of the birds is going to set you back some serious money.

If you call the international cargo desk of any airline, they will tell you what their crate requirements are, if multiple birds are allowed in a crate, and how much to ship that crate.

The federal quarantine station can tell you how much the quarantine costs and what paperwork you need.

I don't know any poultry breeders from overseas, other than to chat with them on-line, but I can tell you for a fact that in show dogs, in Britain and in Europe, there are two prices. There is the local price and there is the "American price". The American price tends to be 3-4 times higher than what a local would pay for the same dog. They figure Americans are all rich and if they are importing animals they are extra rich and can afford to pay.

So it's possible that your exhibition quality birds will really cost you.

Back
Top Bottom