People who Partake in Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth?

Dec 30, 2018
SC, Low Country
I was reading up about using food grade diatomaceous earth for chickens and saw that people actually ingest it also for health benefits. There were a wide range of opinions on adding it to chicken feed or liberally applying it to chickens and in there coops/nests so I'm not sold on it just yet for my chickens other than adding it to the dust bath dirt area.
Now, I am curious to know if any of you out there use it yourself for personal health or nutritional reasons? What has it done to improve any conditions or the benefits you get from taking it? There were so many mixed reviews now my wondering mind wants to know!🤔

It's perhaps benign, as long as it's pure, but DE is a mined mineral and as such very difficult to control contaminants that are naturally occurring minerals in the same mining area. I don't know what minerals might be expected to commonly accompany DE, but humans don't really benefit much from eating inorganic minerals. That's why we eat plants and animals, not pulverized rocks.

I did put some in my coop in a dust bath and regretted it. It didn't take long for everything to become covered in a film of gray dust. I have a big bag. Anyone nearby who wants it can have it. :lau

It's perhaps benign, as long as it's pure, but DE is a mined mineral and as such very difficult to control contaminants that are naturally occurring minerals in the same mining area. I don't know what minerals might be expected to commonly accompany DE, but humans don't really benefit much from eating inorganic minerals. That's why we eat plants and animals, not pulverized rocks.

I did put some in my coop in a dust bath and regretted it. It didn't take long for everything to become covered in a film of gray dust. I have a big bag. Anyone nearby who wants it can have it. :lau
I used DE for dust bath areas. Stupid idea, the birds came down with respiratory problems. Some I could cure, others weren't so lucky.:(

Back
Top Bottom