1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

People Who Sell Silkies!!!!! I have a ???? for ya

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Ms~Silkie~Girl, Nov 15, 2009.

1. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Ms~Silkie~Girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    So people who sell silkies (or other chickens, but mainly silkies) i plan to breed and sell silkies in the spring, but i was just thinking who do i sell them too?? lol [​IMG] Like i know a couple people around here who have chickens but i dont think they will buy baby silkies, who buys them from you, Do you ship them?? Thanks!!

-Trista From Way Up Farm

2. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Ovabid, Eggbid, BYC, other forums, craigslist, local market bulletin etc.. All good options to sell birds.

ETA: You could put up a For sale page on your website too, and maybe BYC page.. So anyone who may just be searching around or being nosy may happen upon them and just "Have" to have them [​IMG]. If they're show birds you could probably take them to the shows and sell them as well.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2009
  3. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    Thanks!!! But do you ship them to different states??

Also my girl is a show bird and i think i will bring them to a show and sell them...maybe

4. DTchickens

DTchickens Overrun With Chickens

Mar 23, 2008
    Bailey, Mississippi.
    Quote:I haven't shipped any yet, but all of my brood stock have been shipped to me from out-of-state.

5. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    oooh, ok thanks so much!!! I think in the spring i will put a sign up in the local TSC and put an add on craigslist

6. Ms~Silkie~Girl

Feb 7, 2009
    New York STATE
    ALSOO!! How much should i sell them for, i was thinking $10.00 each if u buy less than 4
    AND $7.00 each if you buy 4 or more is that too much or not enough?? My sillkie mommy is a very good show quality bird too!!

7. featherbaby

featherbaby Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2009
    Jacksonville, FL 32210
    Depending upon the quality you should not sell them for less than $20 individually. Silkies take longer to mature, therefore more feed and time is invested in their care. Also, they are many times bought as pets and generally people value animals that they have more money invested in. You can check out the prices on silkies on Eggbid.......you'll be amazed at how much people pay for these adorable, sweet natured chickens. Those of us who raise these "specialty breeds" need to keep the prices higher than mutts and mixed breeds. If you raise exceptional silkies, don't be afraid to charge accordingly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by