People who show birds i need help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by chickenman98, May 31, 2010.

1. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    do you have to have vaccinations for show chicks when you order them? do you have to de-beak or de-wing them? i am ordering four blue silkie chicks so i know they won't need to be dubbed like a game bird right? do you have to have mareks Disease Vaccination? i am just starting out showing so i need some help.
    thanks,
    ryan

2. seramaland2

seramaland2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 23, 2009
    bethel,ohio
    no vaccinations required, no debeaking or dewinging. That would probably get you dq'd. most show require pollorum testing, though.

3. chickenman98

chickenman98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Eastern Oklahoma
    is that testing when they come out to your house and check to see if your birds are healthy?

4. houndit

houndit There is no H or F in Orpington!

Jul 13, 2008
    Braymer Missouri
    Quote:I never show, but I looked into exhibiting and selling birds at the Columbia MO. show. They said that they would require you test for Pullorum/typhoid. They had a vet come out and do it the first day of the show. I think the only bird they want dubbed is the Old English game.

5. robin416

robin416 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 6, 2007
    Quote:Ryan, I hope you're getting your four chicks from a reputable breeder if you plan on showing. You need to take the time to learn more about the breed and things like what NPIP testing is. There have been many, many folks that jumped in with both feet before they understood that there are specific traits, besides color, that are necessary for showing.

Read everything you can about them by doing a search here, join the ASBC and ask questions.

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Quote:I never show, but I looked into exhibiting and selling birds at the Columbia MO. show. They said that they would require you test for Pullorum/typhoid. They had a vet come out and do it the first day of the show. I think the only bird they want dubbed is the Old English game.

Old English, Modern & American Game are dubbed; not sure of any others that require it.

7. josh44

josh44 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2008
    San Antonio Texas
    Quote:Ryan, I hope you're getting your four chicks from a reputable breeder if you plan on showing. You need to take the time to learn more about the breed and things like what NPIP testing is. There have been many, many folks that jumped in with both feet before they understood that there are specific traits, besides color, that are necessary for showing.

Read everything you can about them by doing a search here, join the ASBC and ask questions.

I agree there are many people out there who pass everything off as Show Quality, for selfish reasons,
    Don't jump into anything. Take your time and do some reading.

You dont' have to have your fowl vaccinated for show, you just need to have you flock NPIP tested & in some states AI tested.
    Don't cut your chickens wings it ruins their quality, and you dont need to dub anything unless you have OEG or Modern Games.
    GOOD LUCK ! [​IMG]

8. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    Not all states require testing (of any sort). Eastern states tend to require some amount of testing; most western states require none. Your best bet is to call up the show secretary or show superintendant for wherever you plan to show and ask. Find a poultry club to get involved with--you will learn lots.

9. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania

I agree there are many people out there who pass everything off as Show Quality, for selfish reasons,
    Don't jump into anything. Take your time and do some reading.

You dont' have to have your fowl vaccinated for show, you just need to have you flock NPIP tested & in some states AI tested.
    Don't cut your chickens wings it ruins their quality, and you dont need to dub anything unless you have OEG or Modern Games.
    GOOD LUCK ! [​IMG]

[​IMG] x2 to robin416's and josh44's posts!

10. ThePolishPrincess

ThePolishPrincess Chillin' With My Peeps

If you plan to show Silkies than you're not going to have much luck in competitions with hatchery birds. Find a breeder. Silkies are usually taken, I find, more seriously than some other breeds. You won't get anywhere with hatchery Silkies.

The only testing required in NYS is Pollorum testing, done by a vet at a reasonable amount of our 4H events, as told by our 4H leader. Sometimes, if you need testing done at another time, you can contact the vet and she'll make a private date for you.

Don't de-beak or clip wings, as it has been stated.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by