PEOPLE WHO SHOW CHICKENS!!!!*****

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by shmooborp, May 24, 2008.

1. shmooborp

shmooborp artistic fowlism

what do you do in preperation for a show?
    bath?
    cleaning? training?
    what do u use?
    any tips
    experiances that night help me?
    im lanning on sowing some BO pullet(s) and posibly a hen.
    I JUST WANT TO KNOW WHAT TO BE PEPARED FOR AND WHAT TO DO BEFORE SHOWING. THANKS [​IMG]

2. shmooborp

Please do not bump posts.

Last edited by a moderator: May 24, 2008
  3. ChickNLittle

ChickNLittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2008
    Folkston, Georgia
    From what I understand, is that the chicken should be cleaned, brushed, etc. The chicken should be good to handle and not be afraid of humans. Right before its your turn you should brush your chicken again, making sure his feet are clean. [​IMG] I guess it really depends on the breed, however, I just seen a post somewhere on here that gave some good pointers and things to take with you to the show. [​IMG]

4. shmooborp

sry i wasnt really trying to bump the post.. i just wanted to know if anyone could help me since no one in chat knew. please dont hurt me. or be mad [​IMG]. umm. thank yo for your help.. do u know what that poast was called?

5. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  6. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    I want to show to shmoo-where do you want to show? I was considering the Oregon State Fair show, but I've heard it's stressful on birds because of the crowds.

7. Smoky73

Smoky73 Lyon Master

Feb 8, 2007
    Colorado
    Any show is stressful on birds, even if they are used to it.
    It takes time, you have to handle birds a lot and get them used to being in small cages, being handled by strangers, not freak out when they are in there. Judges hate a bird that is so scared it is flying up hitting the top of the cage trying to escape. Those birds will do poorly at a show.
    Sometimes you have to train them to stand correctly. You need to bathe them, and make sure they are bug free prior to the show, clip nails, pull broken feathers at least 6 weeks prior to the show if not earlier so they can grow back in time. At the show, you commonly see cleaning of feet, beak, oiling feet and combs, wattles, brushing and blow drying. It is not simply just grabbing a bird out of the pen the morning of the show thats for sure. Most people who show alot also have a specific diet regimen they follow to condition birds to be in top feather condition for months in advance.

8. shmooborp

yea! for ffa. lol . i really want to show my big bo opal... shes a sweetie and nice.. but shes had lice a few week ago.. i fixed the lice thing.. but she still has the clusters on her.. looks like im gonna have a long weekend of fixing her up. lol. i wanna do it a few times befor show so she can get use to the regimind.. that link helped ALOT! thank you.. and thanks for all the replys.. very help ful. [​IMG]

9. shmooborp

wow. that sounds like i almost am behind schedual if i wanna show her and a pullet in mid july.. eeeeeek! [​IMG]

10. coffeemama

coffeemama Barista Queen

Mar 5, 2008
    Oregono
    where are you showing her in July shmoo? I have thought about showing poultry, because I used to raise and show rabbits and loved it. Rabbits were easier though I think-I did feed them premium milled foods made just for me, and handled them some, but I never had to wash them or anything before shows.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by