People who show rabbits, I need some advice.

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by debilorrah, Oct 30, 2011.

1. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have entered a show on 11/19. I have ONE rabbit that is not molting. Because we are fairly new at showing, I have no idea if a short haired angora even has a chance. Anyone?

2. goofy98

goofy98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Prineville
    no I dont think so but even thought your rabbits are molting they still could win becus most rabbits are molting any wase mine where and I won reserv grand champan

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Funny, I'm doing a show on that same day! LOL! Ours are all blowing their coats right now, bringing in the winter coats. One in particular, our 17lb FG girl, I have been working on for two days now. I bring her in on a towel, and just sit and pluck fur. Rubbing her down with wet hands, and pluck, pluck pluck. I think I got most of the fur, but I'll keep working on her until the show. She's looking better already. [​IMG] Can't say for sure exactly what to do, because I'm winging it, but it seems to be working so far!

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain :

Funny, I'm doing a show on that same day! LOL! Ours are all blowing their coats right now, bringing in the winter coats. One in particular, our 17lb FG girl, I have been working on for two days now. I bring her in on a towel, and just sit and pluck fur. Rubbing her down with wet hands, and pluck, pluck pluck. I think I got most of the fur, but I'll keep working on her until the show. She's looking better already. [​IMG] Can't say for sure exactly what to do, because I'm winging it, but it seems to be working so far!

LOL! You are SOOO no help! I need to know if I can still show them. Angoras 55% of their score is for their wool. Do I even have a chance?​

5. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Quote:LOL! You are SOOO no help! I need to know if I can still show them. Angoras 55% of their score is for their wool. Do I even have a chance?

Angoras are different, though... I don't know! [​IMG]

6. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I'm sorry, makes me giggle that it's called molting.

I would be in bunny hell...I'm allergic to rabbit fur! And feathers ironically. [​IMG]

7. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    OK, now that I'm done with my molting laughter...here's the way I'd look at it.

Your rabbits may be out of condition, but the show would be a good experience regardless. Not just for you, but also for your rabbits. It will help them to become more comfortable in the show hall. Plus, you might be able to get feedback on their actual body conformation instead of all the fluff.

Just my opinion on it. Unless my birds are looking sickly during their molt, I usually take them to get them acclimated to the show atmosphere again.

8. gaited horse

gaited horse Merry Christmas!

Aug 14, 2008
    Fernley, NV
    Quote:Not much of a chance unless they are great bodies and the short wool is great prolly not much and if Betty is their No one will do well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by