people who use Oxine

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by tiki244, Mar 17, 2009.

1. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    I found it on some places for about $35 a gallon. I found it at www.revivalanimal.com for $25. It looks like the same stuff, but they say you have to add citric acid to it to activate it. Could some one tell me a little bit about this, how they use it, and maybe check that site to see if it is the same stuff? And where do you get it at?

Last edited: Mar 17, 2009
  2. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    I've never heard of having to activate Oxine! That's odd. Personally, I'd save the hassle of doing it wrong and pay the extra $10.

3. MoodyChicken

MoodyChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 15, 2009
    Northern California
    Oh, First State Vet Supply has it on sale right now, $23 + shipping for 1 gallon.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

You may want to read this article about Oxine. I think Amazon.com has it cheaper than some, but First State is also a great place to get things like this.
    http://www.shagbarkbantams.com/oxine.htm

5. Buck Creek Chickens

Buck Creek Chickens Have Incubator, Will Hatch

Nov 26, 2008
    Neenah, WI
    The only time you have to activate it is when you have a real big bad 'bug problem'(germs), I put it in my birds drinking water, keeps the yuk down in my water. I've got well water.

I get mine for culter, they have the best price for me if you add in shipping

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  6. tiki244

tiki244 Flock Mistress

Jan 1, 2008
    WestCentralWisconsin
    Thanks for all the good advice [​IMG] I plan on using it for prevention of problems, utting it in the water and spraying it in your birds cage at a show.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  7. fourfeathers

fourfeathers Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2008
    Western Kentucky
    If you activate it, I believe then it can be harmful to you and you should wear a mask. I just use it per FirstState's instructions or Cutler's Supply for mixing it appropriately. One important thing that I have found....the plastic jug that it comes in does NOT hold up over time and will start leaking out the bottom. I talked to the company about this and they just said to place the jug in a pie plate or something. Well, I didn't want to waste any so have taken to transferring it to a glass wine jug (empty of course).

8. maymiegirl

maymiegirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 27, 2008
    PA
    Yes. It is exactly the same thing. Follow the directions exactly.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by