People with a House Chicken

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by greenfamilyfarms, Sep 27, 2010.

1. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Suddenly I have a desire to have a silkie as a house chicken - you know, one of those you see sitting on the couch with a diaper on or riding on the dash of the car. Those of you that have a house chicken, do you have any advice?

2. pgpoultry

pgpoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 16, 2009
    Wales
    I've only had temporary house chickens ,a couple of ultra-tame Brahmas,a roo and a hen (at different times) after injuries.. They stayed in two rooms with tiled floors which were quickly and easily cleaned. I learnt that chickens poop a lot of times a day, so you would need a nappy if they were to be in the house a lot.

My chickens do not have clipped wings and one roosted on a kitchen chair and the other on upturned boots.

I'm sure that they can make good house pets if they are very friendly,

Sandie

3. farmgirl1995

farmgirl1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2010
    Georgia:)
    I've never had one. But I want one. So bad. Now I just have to convince my parents...

4. cindy99

cindy99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2010
    Tioga County PA
    My Bluebell was a house chicken for 2 weeks while she was sick. It was a lot of work for me keeping her in but it worked out well and she got better. [​IMG] Although now she thinks that she can just walk in the back door whenever it's open... LOL

Here she is watching tv with my husband.

[​IMG]

And here she is with my son
    [​IMG]

5. firedancer57

firedancer57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Lurking in the corner
    Our "House-chick" has been a blessing to me. She was a rescue, we have parrots and well I guess one bird is like another so she became a House-chick. In the begining she was supposed to be our sons and it was agreed that I would take care of her until he came home from his AIT at Ft. Jackson. Well the little s**t has wormed her way into our hearts. I have gone as far as making diapers for her, [​IMG] taking her outside in the cool of the evening and letting her take over a shelf in the bathroom as her favorite place to go broody [​IMG]
    I just love how she "purrs" when I hold her and well I just love her. She is a comic relief, she is cuddles, she is a pet, no she is a part of my crazy family.[​IMG]

[​IMG] "Zee" the House-chick.

"Zee's best Stink eye [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 27, 2010
  6. pwappers

pwappers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    I do not want a house chicken, but one of our girls has decided she likes the house better than the coop. She sneaks in the garage all the time, even laying a few eggs in there. I keep shooing her out, but back in she comes. Crazy birds. She is pretty funny though.

7. 3goodeggs

3goodeggs pays attention sporadically

May 22, 2009
    North Central Florida
    I am interested in the leash you have 'zee' on. Is she wearing a small dog harness, or did you make something?
    I think I would not mind having a chicken keep me company when I am working in the greenhouses, she could eat weeds and listen to me gripe. (Yes, I am aware of how bizarre that sounds.)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by