1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

People with a Marketing Major

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Celtic Hill, Jan 24, 2011.

1. Celtic Hill

Celtic Hill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    I was wondering if anyone out there has a marketing degree? Did you guys find it usefull? What did you do with it? Im interested in majoring in it but not sure.

2. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    No idea. My degree is engineering. You can talk to the placement office and see what recent marketing majors have done.

3. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I do have a marketing degree and other business degrees. I have mostly worked in health care. I am now doing some marketing. I would not say it has been worth it to me but that does not mean it won't be to you.

4. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    Quote:What kind of stuff do you do with you degree? Or what CAN you do?

5. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    I got the degree in 2000 and this is the first job I think I have really used it. I don't want to do health care but have before and after mostly. I want to use my business degrees that is what I went to school for. That is why I said it had not really been worth it so far to me. I have almost no experience in my degrees just the education and I think that is why it has been so hard and living in a rural area.

There is a marketing section on craigslist....under jobs that I look at.

I live in a pretty small city so not much for me in that field.

What I am doing right now is selling basically "free tutoring". Trying to get people to sign their kids up for tutoring. I also have a degree in management and general business. I got all three at once. Which was really cool and what I wanted. I had enough different classes and took just what was need to get all three degrees....went 2-3 years.

I am also an tutoring instructor and site coordinator for my local middle school/high school and elementary school with the same company I am marketing with. The marketing just gives me extra hours/pay.

Marketing is just what it says though....you are marketing/putting something idea or particular item out there to sell or show to people, for the company. It could even be a service the company offers that you are promoting. If your selling something really just kinda a fancier term to me. Then being a sales person.

I hope craigslist helps for job examples in your area of marketing jobs.

6. Nifty-Chicken

Nifty-Chicken Administrator Staff Member

I majored in Business Administration with an emphasis in Finance, but my second choice was Marketing.

I was originally going to go into computer science or telecommunications but realized that those areas change so quickly that by the time I got my degree I'd have to re-learn the updated technologies.

So, I moved over to Business / Finance (and some marketing). My reasoning: Finance and Marketing are two areas of study that can be readily applied to many areas of life: Work, running your own business, and even family life and interpersonal relations! Also, the principles don't really change nearly as quickly in these areas as they do in tech.

As a small to medium sized business consultant I use marketing all the time for marketing my services, or marketing my clients businesses.

Just my two cents.

7. arabianequine

Apr 4, 2010
    That was exactly my plan to own my own business someday. Well still working at that.

8. Celtic Hill

Mar 7, 2010
    Scotland CT
    thanks guys!!! That's what i was hoping to hear, i would love to get in with a feed company or something related to animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by