People with Bantams!

AtRendeAcres

Songster
12 Years
May 23, 2007
Clarion County
I really love my bantams!

I am ordering more chicks with friend!

I am thinking of getting more bantams they are so social and fun to watch!

Now to convince DH!

1)how big are their eggs?
I have silkiie, cochin
I want to get barred rock, RIR or waynedottes

2)Also would like to breed a few (to try)

what do you suggest

Joanne

dont know about egg size, but from a picture on the EE thread, there was a pic of silkie eggs vs. americauna and they didnt seem that small to me. i have a black cochin who isnt the nicest. but i had a birchen cochin roo who was the sweetest chicken i ever had. never had a silkie although i think they are sweet poof balls.

I have Banty Cochin Frizzles. Here is a pic of one of thier eggs....compared to a C cell battery.

Bantyegg.jpg

My 6 yr old grandson LOVES them! He calls them "kid sized eggs" and tells his friends, my chickens lay eggs just for him!

I had a lot of trouble convincing my dad that bantams were a good idea. He wanted standards because of egg size. However, we bought a young grower that was meant to be a standard but turned out to be a bantam. He actually doesn't think that the eggs are too small, and he doesn't mind if we get another bantam
ya.gif

I just got my first egg from my white Silkie. It was 1 oz. I compared it to a large grades egg that was 1.8 oz. The Silke egg was much bigger that I expected.

Quote:
The contents are exactly the same, it's just that there is less cholesterol per egg, rather than per 100g.

It's a bit like making a small packet of crisps and saying that they have less calories, and then charging for the privilege (it's been done).

Quote:
The contents are exactly the same, it's just that there is less cholesterol per egg, rather than per 100g.

It's a bit like making a small packet of crisps and saying that they have less calories, and then charging for the privilege (it's been done).

V-Chic what are "crisps"?

RChicks, you asked about a new breed to try? I have Silkies and Mille Fleur D'Uccles. You have silkies already, but I would suggest the D'Uccles or another feather footed bantam breed... they're really cute, friendly, and fun to watch!

I would reccomend wyandotte bantams. they call to you whenever they see you came out of the house and theyre fun to watch and theyre eggs are big for a bantam:cool:

Back
Top Bottom