1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

People with Bantams!

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by AtRendeAcres, Aug 7, 2007.

1. AtRendeAcres

AtRendeAcres Songster

May 23, 2007
    Clarion County
    I really love my bantams!

I am ordering more chicks with friend!

I am thinking of getting more bantams they are so social and fun to watch!

Now to convince DH!

1)how big are their eggs?
    I have silkiie, cochin
    I want to get barred rock, RIR or waynedottes

2)Also would like to breed a few (to try)

what do you suggest

Joanne

2. rosyposyosy

rosyposyosy Songster

Jul 11, 2007
    dont know about egg size, but from a picture on the EE thread, there was a pic of silkie eggs vs. americauna and they didnt seem that small to me. i have a black cochin who isnt the nicest. but i had a birchen cochin roo who was the sweetest chicken i ever had. never had a silkie although i think they are sweet poof balls.

3. justusnak

justusnak Flock Mistress

Feb 28, 2007
    South Eastern Indiana
    I have Banty Cochin Frizzles. Here is a pic of one of thier eggs....compared to a C cell battery.

[​IMG]

My 6 yr old grandson LOVES them! He calls them "kid sized eggs" and tells his friends, my chickens lay eggs just for him!

4. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    I had a lot of trouble convincing my dad that bantams were a good idea. He wanted standards because of egg size. However, we bought a young grower that was meant to be a standard but turned out to be a bantam. He actually doesn't think that the eggs are too small, and he doesn't mind if we get another bantam [​IMG]

5. I was told that bantam eggs are lower in cholesterol.
    My silky eggs are just the right size to fit on a muffin.

6. TundraChick

TundraChick Songster

Aug 6, 2007
    West Viriginia
    I just got my first egg from my white Silkie. It was 1 oz. I compared it to a large grades egg that was 1.8 oz. The Silke egg was much bigger that I expected.

7. V Chic Chick

V Chic Chick Songster

Jan 11, 2007
    Bristol, England
    Quote:The contents are exactly the same, it's just that there is less cholesterol per egg, rather than per 100g.

It's a bit like making a small packet of crisps and saying that they have less calories, and then charging for the privilege (it's been done).

8. Quote:The contents are exactly the same, it's just that there is less cholesterol per egg, rather than per 100g.

It's a bit like making a small packet of crisps and saying that they have less calories, and then charging for the privilege (it's been done).

V-Chic what are "crisps"?

9. Chellester

Chellester Songster

Jun 22, 2007
    Nor Cal
    RChicks, you asked about a new breed to try? I have Silkies and Mille Fleur D'Uccles. You have silkies already, but I would suggest the D'Uccles or another feather footed bantam breed... they're really cute, friendly, and fun to watch!

10. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    Oregon
    I would reccomend wyandotte bantams. they call to you whenever they see you came out of the house and theyre fun to watch and theyre eggs are big for a bantam:cool:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: