1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

People with Hovabators how do you keep your humidity in the 40-50 area

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by happyhens44, Jan 22, 2011.

1. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    I am stuggling to keep mine in the 40-50 area. My hovabator has 9 eggs in there. That I put in 2 hours ago. Any suggestions would help

2. Baralak

Baralak Chillin' With My Peeps

Do you have your plugs in?

3. GreenGoddess

GreenGoddess Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 6, 2009
    St Pauls, NC
    Quote:What I ended up doing was taking a paper towel and folding it to 1/4 size and putting it in the trough.. Then I took another and folded it long ways and really small so it would fit in the smaller area of the trough.. I didn't completely fill the trough with the paper towels but I have one 1/4 piece in the big section and one long piece in the small long section... I wet the paper towel and this helps to keep the humidity more stable..

Goddess [​IMG]

4. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Are you struggling to keep the humidity UP to 40-50 or DOWN to 40-50?

5. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Paper is a good idea. I use a small cotton rag wet with warm water folded lengthwise and place along the inside of the bator.

6. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    keeping it up

. I have the plugs in [​IMG]

ill try paper towel.

7. HEChicken

HEChicken Overrun With Chickens

Aug 12, 2009
    BuCo, KS
    My Coop
    Quote:Hmmmm....I'm on my first hatch, but my goal is to keep it in the 30's% range. Right after I add water to the bowl, it shoots up to almost 50 and that has me a little worried. I feel happier when I see it go back down in the 30's again. Too high humidity in the early days of incubation can cause too much water to build up inside the egg, and the chick drowns when it pips internally. I researched this a ton before I started, and finally decided to go with a lower humidity for incubation and then raise the humidity at lockdown and for hatching. I wouldn't try too hard to keep it near 50% if you are just starting with the hatch, if I were you....

8. magsrags

magsrags Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 12, 2008
    Staten Island NY
    In winter it can be hard when your heat is on to keep a steady humidity level. If you want to raise it try using a cotton facecloth and just roll it up nice & wet...not dripping wet and place along a long sdie edge of your incubator. It will need to be re-wet every few days as you will notice when you candle your eggs.
    When lockdown happens I find it necessary to add 2 or even 3 wet cloths to keep it round the 80 mark.
    Good luck.[​IMG]

9. happyhens44

happyhens44 BroodyAddict

Apr 25, 2010
    Northern WI
    Quote:I did it

keeping it up
    Hmmmm....I'm on my first hatch, but my goal is to keep it in the 30's% range. Right after I add water to the bowl, it shoots up to almost 50 and that has me a little worried. I feel happier when I see it go back down in the 30's again. Too high humidity in the early days of incubation can cause too much water to build up inside the egg, and the chick drowns when it pips internally. I researched this a ton before I started, and finally decided to go with a lower humidity for incubation and then raise the humidity at lockdown and for hatching. I wouldn't try too hard to keep it near 50% if you are just starting with the hatch, if I were you....

Do you think 37-40 is ok?​

10. vebyrd36

vebyrd36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2010
    New Ringgold Pa
    Yip this is what I do

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by