People with still airs that dont have A/C

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, Jun 5, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Ok, so I have a still air incubator (hovabator) that I own and preset incubator (hovabator) that I borrowed. My first hatch, in the still air, the tempatures flucuated mildly, from say 99.5-101.5, and although not perfect, I can live with that.

But NOW, I'm trying to get it regulated and it won't! Last week I had it plugged in and went from 96 at night to 105 in the day. I plugged it in last night, and it climbed right to 101 and stayed there all night, was 101 when I woke up, and when I left for work at 11am. Just got home (and it IS hot out today) and it was at 105!!

Here's the problem ... I have my preset incubator full. My most important eggs were mailed out yesterday. I had planned to put the ones in the preset now into the still air, and put my new eggs in the preset, but I can't regulate it, as since my eggs willl be here tomorrow or saturday that dont leave me much time.

What can I do???

Last edited: Jun 6, 2008
  2. CindyS

CindyS Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Geneseo, Illinois
    I have had that trouble with one of mine before. Sometimes the little switch gets gummed up. its the little thing that the wafer presses on to shut off. I took the wafer out at sprayed some wd40 on it and it seemed to work!

3. Eggseronious

Eggseronious Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2008
    East Tennessee
    Do you have a spare wafer if not get one they go out regularly.

4. ginasmarans

ginasmarans Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Oh No! Are they the marans eggs? I would for sure change out the wafer thermastat if that is what it uses. That always helps mine.

5. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    No eggs are in it YET but some will need to tomorrow or the next day, so no time to order a wafer. I'm just hoping I can fiddle with it enough to get it down.

Would running a box fan on or near it help keep it cooler in the day time so it doesnt spike??

6. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

If the wafer is bad, doesn't matter what temp it is around, the darn thing will stick and not regulate the temps right. Might try local feed stores to see if they have any.

7. MandyH

MandyH You'll shoot your eye out!

I have a little giant still air that I have not had to adjust in 2 years. You have to watch the temps in the room where you have the incubator. If you have a room that the temp fluctuates in say 3 degrees throughout the day, your incuabtor will do the same. You also need to measure temp at egg height. Mine is in the hatching house that is kept at 80 degrees year round because my brooders are in there too. Also make sure the incubator is plugged into a surge protector. That will keep the air conditioner and stuff from pulling the power from the incubator when it comes on and off throughout the day.

8. ginasmarans

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    Yes,try a feed store or the Co-op.

9. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I really dont think it's a bad wafer. For my first hatch, the weather was a lot more stable. Now, as the temp outside drops at night, so does the incubator temp. When it gets hot in the day, it rises. We dont have air conditioning, so heck, my house temp flucuates about 15 or more degrees a day. Thus why I was wondering about a fan.

10. ginasmarans

Jan 15, 2007
    West Tn
    I didn't know you had no air conditioning. I suppose that would make a difference.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by