people with welsummers look please!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Johnn, Nov 18, 2011.

1. Johnn

Johnn Overrun With Chickens

Sep 5, 2011
    Some of you may no that i have been going on about wanting welsummers but needing a broody, i use to have 2 and one went broody every year but she died and the other got killed, so you people with them how many out of them have gone broody?

2. Jeevesrules

Jeevesrules Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2011
    Otley, Leeds, England
    I have a welsummer hen that has had two broods and recently adopted 5 chicks:D she I'd a frequent broody and it gets very frustrating [​IMG] I think she's an 'odd one out' though as I've heard that most Welles don't even sit, and when they do they rarely do it for long [​IMG]

3. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    was she a goood mam?

4. Resolution

Resolution Chillin' With My Peeps

Some are fairly good mums but sometimes they won't get up off the eggs after the chicks have hatched- especially if there are still eggs in the nest that haven't hatched and the chicks can end up wandering out of the nest into harms way. But once you've got her out of the nest box she's generally a good mum.

5. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    well on the mypetchicken website i looked at well summer and it said setter/brooder and they said yes and when i did a breed tool selection i got suggested welsummer in the load

6. ladybug99

ladybug99 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2010
    Monroe New Jersey
    I only have Wellies.. my in my first group of 12 I had 2 go broody on me... one hatched out one egg... and as soon as that baby was hatched she left the other 12 eggss cold on the nest. She was a very good momma to the one baby. The other one was broody on and off all summer long... but we took the eggs after the experience with the first. We seem to hatch out only roosters... and did not need to take the chance on any more LOL

7. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    ok, you should just give them like 2 eggs so if they are roosters there isnt as many to get rid of, i want a chicken to hatch me out another cockerel

8. lynn1961

lynn1961 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2011
    south central Oklahoma
    My flock of welsummers (30) do a good job of raising their chicks, Out of the 10 first ones that I bought, I had 2 to go broody their second year. They have done a good job brooding and raising their chicks, they are very protective of them. One broody named momma is docile and did not mind me checking her eggs during her brood, and was not too mean with me handeling her chicks.
    She hatched 11 of her 13 eggs.
    The other hen named bossy butt, almost tore me fingers off ( not literly) when I would try to check her eggs, and there is no way that anyone could handle her chicks, she ended up hatching 6 of
    the 8 eggs she was sitting on, she brooded her own hatchlings and adopted 15 chicks from the incubator.
    Guess that was a dirty trick to play on her, for her to go to sleep one night with her own 6 and then wake up with 15 more, she raised that group of 21 babies to about 5 weeks, then she was done, after she stopped staying with them all of the time if the other chickens were to bother the babies, make them squak or chase them, the fight would be on.
    Bossy Butt is the top hen and has her own group of insubornates from that brood ( well the females anyways, the males are gone). These girls did this brood this summer in june and july, I have been trying to keep bossy butt and momma have been trying to go broody off and on since september, I have been trying to discourge them as keeping the 30 something chickens and the 3 turkeys over the winter is going to be enough to kept fed and watered.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2011
  9. Johnn

Sep 5, 2011
    its really hard to decide wether to get them or not, when i had 2 the one who went broody had 26 eggs!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by