Pepper & garlic in feed?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by kuntrychick, Oct 26, 2011.

1. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    What kind of pepper & garlic do I need to get to put in chickens feed & why?

2. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    so are you trying to preseason them before you fry them up in a pan? or trying to control mosquitoes:lol:

3. silkie_sue

silkie_sue Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 14, 2010
    Keokuk, Iowa
    Quote:I just get the crushed red pepper. The garlic...just add a wee bit every once in awhile....not alot or your will have garlic eggs.

4. chick007

chick007 secretagent chickenman

Sep 25, 2011
    anchorage, alaska
    if you are trying to keep rodents out of chicken food ground cayene works best for me

5. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

It'll keep vampires away, too.

6. EggyErin

EggyErin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2011
    N. Ga mountains
    So is cayenne pepper the same as red pepper? I put red pepper in my feed and the girls turned up their beaks. I think I may have put too much, but those blasted squirrels....[​IMG]

7. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Cayenne is also red pepper, yes. Chickens don't feel the "hot" of capsicum so if they're turning their beaks up it's not from the heat, they just don't like the taste lol.

8. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    How much red pepper /cayenne would you put say in one of those 7 pound feeders?

On garlic...what kind do you use....just a bulb of garlic ground up, already ground garlic, or one of those little jars of crushed garlic like that's in the produce section? What is garlic supposed to be good for for chickens?

I was thinking, according to the benefits of garlic of just putting a little bit mixed in a treat of yogurt, oatmeal, feed, BOSS every once in a while....don't want garlicky eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by