Pepper Idea- Update: Success!!

Pele

Songster
8 Years
Feb 25, 2011
Boise
Hi all, I've been brainstorming about how to discourage a neighbor's dog when it comes to my chickens, and I'd like to run the idea past the BYC experts
smile.png

My neighbor's dog is a trained bird-dog, and every time I come home and let out the chickens, he mashes his nose up against the fence dividing our properties, and breathes/snorts like Kujo for a few minutes before digging furiously to get under the fence.

My neighbor stops him when they are around, but I am getting more and more worried about the dog eventually getting under the fence.

I have been playing around with the idea of sprinkling some sort of pepper along the fence-line to discourage the dog from his freaky serial killer breathing through the fence. I'm also hoping that pepper would mask the scent of the chickens as well, which hopefully would discourage him from digging.

Does this sound like it'd actually work? And if so, is there any kind of pepper in particular I should look into?

Please let me know what you guys think!

Last edited:
Cayenne. It won't hurt the chickens, but ought to discourage dogs. You can also mix it with the feed to discourage rodents.

I tried cayenne pepper to discourage my bird dogs from digging up our plants......it didn't work,,,, they loved it...licked it up as fast a s I could put in down. Now I'm stuck with 12 jars of the stuff.
Maybe if you could blow it his face while he was snorting it may work. Shouldn't hurt him, but make him think again about putting his face against the fence.
But sprinkling it on the ground ( and I used plenty) didn't help me.
Good luck

They liked cayenne pepper? Weird dogs!
tongue.png

Well, if that doesn't work, you can lurk around with a squirt bottle of water and ammonia, and squirt him when he tries to get through the fence. (Don't use pure ammonia - that could damage his eyes.) That's how my mother taught a neighbor's dog not to bark and lunge at her.

Is there any chance your neighbors would take the initiative of controlling their dog's behavior and put up a hot wire on their side? That would keep him off the fence.

Otherwise you could try vinegar but you'll always have to replenish anything you put down.

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith that they'd put out the money to do that. I am afraid he'll start reporting me to animal control since we live in suburbia. Technically we are outside of city limits, and I am well within the # of birds for my property size by county law, but I still worry.

I bought some dog repellent stuff at the local feedstore here, so I'll try that for now. If it doesn't work, I'll order ghost peppers online. I hear that even elephants are repelled by their smell!

Quote:
Unfortunately, I don't have a lot of faith that they'd put out the money to do that. I am afraid he'll start reporting me to animal control since we live in suburbia. Technically we are outside of city limits, and I am well within the # of birds for my property size by county law, but I still worry.

I bought some dog repellent stuff at the local feedstore here, so I'll try that for now. If it doesn't work, I'll order ghost peppers online. I hear that even elephants are repelled by their smell!

... remember, elephants are afraid of mice. Big isn't everything.

Why not talk to the neighbor and lay a 24" skirting on their side of the fence. Just hog ring one edge to the fence bottom and let it lay, (it can be held down with stakes if needed) the grass grows thru it, a mower can pass over it, it can easily be removed if a issue develops, and it will stop the dog at the surface, not after it has torn up the fenceline

Back
Top Bottom