pepper in food

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by BMD17553, Dec 5, 2013.

1. BMD17553

BMD17553 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2013
    a friend of mine told me that if you put cayanne pepper in chicken feed it will kill worms and parasites like that is thjis safe for the chickens and what other organic recipes can i use to keep my flock healthy?

Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  2. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Your friend is incorrect. Some people wish to believe things despite reality. The health of a chicken's intestinal tract depends on diet, but that will not prevent worms, nor remove worms from the intestinal tract. Environment determines the existence of parasitic worms. The most effective way to control intestinal worms is by proper management of the yard and coop environment, and the use of Benzimidazole classes of wormers such as Fenbendazole (Safe guard) and Albendazole (Valbazen) when needed.

Here are some informative links.

Intestinal parasites in backyard flocks: http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/vm015

Intestinal Health Center for Poultry: https://www.ihc-poultry.com/page/product-SafeGuard/159

The benefits of probiotics: http://ps.fass.org/content/79/1/7.full.pdf

2 people like this.
  3. SaltyPaws

SaltyPaws Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2013
    Cayenne is absolutely an immune system booster. Pumpkin seeds and castor oil are both safe dewormers you can try.

1 person likes this.
  4. centrarchid

centrarchid Chicken Obsessed

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    The pepper will make egg yolks and fat more orange. Best eggs for hatching for me seem to have more color in the yolk. Pattern does hold with fish.

5. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    1 person likes this.
  6. Michael Apple

Michael Apple Overrun With Chickens

Mar 6, 2008
    Northern California
    Could you verify by any Department of Animal Science of any University that pumpkin seeds or castor oil are effective for the prevention/removal of cecal, round, tape, or capillary worms in chickens?

7. SaltyPaws

Jan 6, 2013

If it reduces parasite load, what is the problem? You can do a Google search if you'd like to find a studies. I am simply offering suggestions that have worked for me and my birds.

8. Scott H

Scott H Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 29, 2012
    Twin Lakes, ID
    My Coop
    But it does not. .. read the above link in my post

9. SaltyPaws

Jan 6, 2013
    Look, I have butchered my birds and examined their carcasses and I found not one parasite.

What I am doing with my flock works. What that person did with their birds didn't work.

I will continue doing what I am doing as long as I Dont have any problems. I will also share my experiences with others who ask.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013

10. Well spoken :goodpost:

What I use is dieatamatios earth, which you can probably find at any local farm store, it's made of dead and crushed diatoms and it will cut up most any worms etc. that they may get, it works for other animals as well, even people(just be sure to get food-grade).

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by