1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Pepper plants, can my girls have them or not?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Mommysongbird, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Mommysongbird

Mommysongbird Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Hi, my dad has some pepper (banana and some bells) plants still growing in his garden, they are about 4 ft tall right now, but only have a few peppers on them. Can our girls have the WHOLE plants?? Or not??

I seen that they should NOT have WHOLE tomato plants, so I was not sure. I checked out the 'treat page' but didn't find anything about the pepper plants or even peppers in general. I will check again, but if you know for sure, can you pass along the info??

2. Kassaundra

Kassaundra Sonic screwdrivers are cool!

Sep 1, 2010
    Henryetta
    I don't know the official answer, but can say that my girls have eaten peppers and pepper plants and have had no bad reactions. The peppers I fed to them the plants I let them in a finished garden space w/ a few pepper plants that they ate to the ground.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    Peppers - yes

Plant - No. No Nightshade greenery should be given, but it isn't exceedingly deadly.

nightshades include potatoes, tomatoes, eggplants, ground cherries, tomatillos

4. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Okay, thanks. I was just wondering after I saw a post about NOT giving them tomato plants. I have a few of those that I was going to give and then I saw that post. Have just been giving them the end of season tomatos from them. Nothing else to do with them since they NEVER bloomed or had fruit during the summer, now fall has come and there are blooms all over these tomato plants. [​IMG] [​IMG]

5. Mommysongbird

Mar 17, 2011
    Small Town, Virginia
    Quote:Oh, okay. There are a few peppers on them, very tiny, I will just pick them and give them those. What about just the leaves??

6. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Quote:I'm thinking the plant itself should not be eaten but there is an old wives tale out there that says hot peppers = more eggs. Considering it is one I have heard for ages and I can remember my great grandmother feeding her chickens cayenne peppers, I think it's prolly safe for the birds to scarf down the peppers themselves. I know mine really enjoy jalapeno, cayenne, and habanero peppers.

7. rarely bored

rarely bored Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 22, 2011
    Central California
    My chickens sneak in my garden as much as they can and they have never eaten the peppers or the pepper plants. However, they love broccoli plants and brussel sprouts. I see other people's chickens eat the pepper, I have no idea why mine leave them alone, especially since they are the sweet Italian and bright colored. [​IMG]

8. wondering if chickns can have banana peppers?

9. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Give them peppers, onion, tomato and cilantro and you'll get salsa eggs.

1 person likes this.
  10. ignatz

ignatz Out Of The Brooder

Mar 8, 2012
    Nunya
    I'll say it *again*...the chickens know *exactly* what they can and can't eat. They did it for a looooong time before we came around and decided they needed heaters in their coops and oyster shells, and froofroo treats, ad nausea. I mean, does anyone actually, *honstely* think the chicken species would die off if we weren't around?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by