Peppermint Leaves as Food Additive: Article from World Poultry

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by speckledhen, Nov 14, 2014.

1. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Just in case you don't belong to this site, I found this quite interesting: http://www.worldpoultry.net/Layers/...11-14|Peppermint_in_hens_diet's_-_the_effects

Quote:
    by World Poultry Nov 14, 2014

ETA: I had requested that this thread be closed, however, thanks to Terrie Lacy for her clean up so it may remain open! Please keep it civil and non-political.

Last edited: Dec 11, 2014
    2 people like this.
  2. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Enjoyed the read, very interesting thanks for posting :thumbsup

3. speckledhen

Wonder if it makes their poop smell better, LOL.

4. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop

I may try just to see/smell if it does have an affect on poop and egg taste. I just hope the overlooking neighbours don't see me sniffing around in the chicken runs I will get even funnier looks from them :oops:

5. speckledhen

[​IMG]

6. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    Hi there speckledhen!!
    I found some chicken treats at the pet shop with mint and parsley in them, they are like a pecking block for them and really do smell minty and parsley!! I am actually going to see if this has an affect on eggs and poop!!
    In the pet shop my DH thought I was mad, spotted the treats and as soon as I saw the package and that it contained mint I thought of you straight away and automatically said " Ooh speckledhen was talking about mint in chicken feed" I got a very weird look and "speckledhen"
    He dosnt get the whole BYC thing !! Then said you talk about mint in chicken food :gig He thinks I'm barking mad or should I say clucking mad.

7. Xtineart

Xtineart Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2014
    wonder if the smell does them any good? At this time of year all my peppermint plants have died back for the winter but I often use aromatherapy in the coop for my ladies. a wee drop of lavender and chamomile and some orange and citronella to keep pests away, I think I might try adding a few drops of peppermint oil, make it smell nice and Christmassy for them if nothing else.

8. Yorkshire Coop

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    I like a nice smelling coops too!! I use a mite killer that has lavender in and the coops always smell nice after a good spray round with it [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

9. triplepurpose

triplepurpose Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 13, 2008
    Interesting. I would be curious to know what factors are responsible, to see if it would be worth trying for our flock. Also, I wonder what the control diet was, and if it matters whether the leaves are dried or fresh. Laying is down now, and we're just riding it out until our chicks are old enough to lay and we can cull...

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  10. speckledhen

Watch out for citronella! That can be dangerous around chickens as can many strong aromatics, including tea tree oil! Be VERY careful. Some can be fatal.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by