Peppermint oil

The Duck Ladie

Duck Addict
7 Years
Feb 23, 2016
Simple question. Can I have peppermint oil put on stuff where my ducks are? Trying to deter mice. Never heard of peppermint oil being a problem, but I want to be sure. Any other get-rid-of-mice ideas appreciated.

Simple question. Can I have peppermint oil put on stuff where my ducks are? Trying to deter mice. Never heard of peppermint oil being a problem, but I want to be sure. Any other get-rid-of-mice ideas appreciated.
Hi...I put peppermint oil in the overhead of my chicken coop when mice were nesting in the insulation. The strong smell in the coop didn't seem to bother the chickens. The mice moved elsewhere, and later I removed the old chewed up insulation. The peppermint oil had evaporated, so it would have to be re-applied.
Also, I am told Irish Spring soap deters mice. I had rabbits getting in my lettuce and kale patch which is surrounded by plastic mesh fence, they were chewing through it. I rubbed the fence with the Irish Spring and no more rabbits.
Also I use a live trap for mice in the coop, this one is called a Tin Cat. It can catch many mice at a time.
Sue

Back
Top Bottom