Peppers

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by simplynewt, Nov 17, 2011.

1. simplynewt

simplynewt Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I was wondering if anyone here has ever goven their flocky friends hot peppers. Not the scorchers but like something from Subway. We had a leftover tray of veggies leftover from a lunch from work today and they were going to throw it away. I thought it would make great treats for the hens. Tomatoes, green peppers, red onions, lettuce, banana peppers and jalepino peppers.

What the opinion from BYC members?

2. Nic&Chickies

Nic&Chickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2010
    New Britain, CT
    At least two of my boyfriend's HOT cherry peppers were chicken-snatched when they were allowed access to the remains of the big garden last week. I wasn't sure who took'em, or if they finished it. If you offer it, and they take it, great! If not, toss it into your compost bin, and you still benefit. [​IMG]

3. simplynewt

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    I just dont want to give them anything that might harm them. Was wondering about the peppers and the onions. I also got some black olives as well.

4. 33yardbirds

33yardbirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2010
    Southern New Jersey
    Jalapeno, Habenero, Cherry Hots, and Hot Chili, all were dried, none right off the plant.

5. simplynewt

Sep 12, 2011
    Alabama
    My Coop
    Quote:These are coming right off the platter so to speak.

6. BWKatz

BWKatz Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2010
    Columbia,SC
    Just remember that what u feed them may flavor their eggs.

7. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Peppers of the hot variety will not harm them at all, they won't even taste the hot because they lack the taste recepters that humans have. There are actually people(read on this site) that actually use cayenne in their worming process but I have no clue if it works or not. When the garden was going strong and if i found any bug damaged jalapenos they would get tossed right to the chickens. So go ahead feed away!

8. 19thhole

19thhole New Egg

Jul 10, 2011
    I have fed my chickens hot peppers and onions and they love them and the eggs don't taste any different

9. CluckyJay

CluckyJay Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2011
    Crossville, Tennessee
    Hot and strong enough, it can drive out some worms. That I have seen, it doesn't kill the parasites so you'd have to treat their living quarters to kill the nasties. Peppers are a good thing to add to your flock and I have never noticed them flavoring my eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by