peqacock too lean for winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by janl, Feb 18, 2011.

1. janl

janl New Egg

Sep 29, 2009
    marshall, Michigan
    I just had a peacock die, seemingly without symptoms. The person doing the necropsy said he was too lean and that this may have caused his death at the end of this cold winter. I know he had access to plenty of food and I alternate various chicken layer brands which are basically the same; all supposed to be complete feed. My question is this: should I supplement basic layer feed to increase the bird's fat on their bodies?..if so,.... what?....scratch, maybe? I have had a flock of chickens, guineas and peas for about 5 years now and this is the first sudden death I have had, but I certainly don't want them to be too lean to be warm through a Michigan winter. All in all we've not had a terrible winter in terms of low periods of low temps this year.

thanks...jan

2. lilchick

lilchick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Williamsport In.
    I use Meat Bird feed made by Nutrena. It has more protein than layer. Scratch grain would not fatten them up.

Try using dog or cat food.. I feed my turkeys, peacocks a 27% protein dog food as well as meatbird and some cracked corn mixed in.

I give a handful of dog food to my ducks and geese also along with cracked corn and duck pellets.

3. janl

janl New Egg

Sep 29, 2009
    marshall, Michigan
    thanks for the advice.....sounds good...

4. rearrolled

rearrolled Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2011
    Aussie
    nothing to do with what use r talking about but these r my friends now whit peacocks

[​IMG]

and these r myn

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by