Per centage of egg production

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Ed Brown, Jun 17, 2011.

1. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    I just joined this forum today so don't know if this has been asked before. What percentage of hens will lay each day. If I have 20 hens can I expect 17-18 eggs per day? What is the average percentage?

2. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    Over the course of one year you can expect 60-65% production, if you choose breeds specifically for egglaying. There will be highs of 70% during the summer, but then lows of 60% over the winter. My red sexlinks lay the best, I have had some awesome RIR's. My experience has been that my EE's lay the worst over the winter and the one I purchased for the "green egg factor" for my egg customers this year is laying a brown egg!!!! I also have Rhode Island whites that have not been too impressive. This year's batch are delawares, more red sexlinks, and I bought TWO EE's to see if we can get the coveted green eggs!

3. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    In other posts and research done online I've seen as high as 80% but this highly depends on the breeds of chicken. Some breeds are very good egg layers with the world record holder at 1 / day for 364 days in a row. Other of course not so much. It also requires good nutrition.

4. Ed Brown

Ed Brown Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2011
    I have golden comets and the 4 barred rocks, which are new to the flock. At first I was getting quite a few double yoke eggs, not so now, for some reason. Thanks for the info, I'm very new to the fowl thing. But they are interesting, to say the least.

5. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    supposedly double yolks are from too much protein

6. TammyP

TammyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 2, 2009
    SW Wisconsin
    Currently I have 4 Golden Wyondettes, one is broody and not laying, 1 Barred Rock, 1 Light Brown Leghorn, 1 Easter Egger, 1 Golden Comet, 1 Jersey Giant, 2 Black Sex Link, 1 Light Brahma, 1 Spanish Bantam, 2 Black Sex Link/Cochin mix, 2 Golden Wyondette/Cochin mix, 1 Jersey Giant/Cochin mix who is broody and not laying, 1 Road Island Red who is not laying due to heart problems I think, and out of the 17 who should be laying I will get between 8-10 eggs a day now.

One day earlier this spring I got 17 in one day but that was a record....since that it's gone downhill some and during the winter months I might get 6 per day average.

My laying girls turned 2 yrs old last month.

I have 34 ten week olds and 2 turkeys that I introduced last week into the coop... so far not too bad of an integration process.....and I've switched their coop around to accomodate the larger group so that might have an impact on their laying also.

I have 8 bourbon turkeys and 4 marans, 2 polish and 1 silkie (4 weeks old) in the brooder with another 3 broad breasted bronze turkeys, 2 bourbons and 5 guineas in the baby brooder...they are 3-4 days old. When these are introduced it will probably impact the older ones laying pattern too but we'll have to see.

~Tammy

7. Neil Grassbaugh

Neil Grassbaugh Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2008
    Quote:Incorrect.

Occurance of double yolk eggs is more common in high production strains and older hens.
    Double yolk eggs are caused by the release of two ovum at a time from the oviduct.

In industrial layers we have seen as much as 98% production but only for a few days at the begining of the flocks laying period. By necessity they ar all the same age. No fluke- there can be as many as 250,000 birds in a building and they are all within a day or two of each other in age.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2011
  8. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    So I went back and looked at my software tracker from last year when I had mostly hybrid production layers (15 ISA's in addition to 1 australorp, 1 EE, 1 Jersey giant, and 4 Rhode Island whites) and my low production was 63%, had highs of 84% in the summer, when the pullets had just started laying. I don't have anything in my flock over 15 months old. Overall for the year my production rate was 69%.

9. kizanne

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Quote:your subtitle is correct you are chicken obsessed!! I love the spreadsheet when mine start laying I'll try to do the same thing.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by