Percentage of blue or green eggs from Ameraucanas?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by Wynette, Oct 19, 2007.

1. Wynette

Wynette Moderator Staff Member

Sep 25, 2007
    Michigan
    I've been reading many posts regarding Ameraucanas and Araucanas, as well as EEs. I now think my birds must be EEs, and I'm wondering what percentage of green/blue eggs most folks are getting from their flocks? I ordered 5 Ameraucanas and a black X link. They are all now laying, and I'm only getting about 1 out of 5 or 6 that is green. It's making me wonder what ratio other folks are getting of green/blue eggs from their Ameraucanas or EEs?

2. josee5

josee5 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 2, 2007
    Iowa
    Of the 4 EE that I have that are laying all four lay colored eggs.

3. That's interesting.
    All the hens from my Ameraucana crosses (so far) lay green/blue eggs.

Lisa

4. PurpleChicken

PurpleChicken Tolerated.....Mostly

Apr 6, 2007
    Iceland
    My two EEs lay green eggs.

5. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

I have two true Ameraucana pullets and both lay blue eggs; at least they look blue to me, LOL. Some may say they are greenish blue, but they are in the blue family.

6. Oh, I should have mentioned all my Ameraucanas lay blue eggs I think that should go without saying, if it doesn't lay blue eggs then it isn't an Ameraucana).
    What, by the way, is a 'true Ameraucana'?

Lisa

7. Cara

Cara Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    NM
    I have one that always lays shiny, smooth, sky-blue eggs, and the other always lays matte, pointy, olive green eggs.

8. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Since there has been so much to-do and confusion here about EE/Ameraucana/Americana/Araucana, with hatcheries calling their Easter Eggers Ameraucanas, I've just taken to calling them that. You are correct that Ameraucanas are supposed to lay blue eggs, per standard. Thought it was important because of the original post, to stipulate exactly what I had that laid blue eggs.

9. Frozen Feathers

Frozen Feathers Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2007
    Maine
    So far I have 0% on my EE's as far as the blue/green egg gene is concerned. My older 2 lay pink and 2 don't lay at all...they are only 18 weeks though...

10. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Quote:From the eggs you sent me, those labled Silver looked more blue than the eggs not labled.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by